RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Controlling exposure

gegjrphoto
Go to solution Solved by gegjrphoto,

I don't understand the obsession iti avoid minor highlight overexposure. In most situations with widely varying backgrounds it is almost impossible to prevent having some areas overexposed. For example, when the main subject has a background of vegetation and sun is shining on the subject and on background, it is possible to have excellent exposure on the subject (foreground) without being able to control exposure of highlights coming through the vegetation. This can be especially true of landscape scenes or scenes where wildlife is in foreground but dense vegetation with speckles of sun coming through the vegetation in the background.

Back in days of only film there was no histogram view and no lcd to see effects of various changes to exposure settings. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

Yes I know and I've used Lightroom Classic ever since version 3.

I don't mind minor dodging and burning and cropping and enlargement like could be done back in old days of the physical darkroom but I try to avoid digital manipulation as much as possible. Especially adding layers and alike such as you suggest. I attempt to get it as right as possible in the camera.

Edited by gegjrphoto
Added more response.