RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Forum Takeover with Nicole Zelkowitz!

On 9/18/2024 at 5:12 PM, alpha-jessica-a said:

What's something you wish you could go back and tell your beginner photographer self?

I think something that I wish I could tell my younger self just starting out in photography is that taking risks is what will help you the most. It's so important to remember that trying new things and always going into everything with an open mind is going to help you succeed so much. It's going to help you grow in ways you didn't think were possible, and it will help you expand your horizons to a new extent. When I first started out in photography, I was definitely content with shooting all of the city stuff. I didn't have much of a desire to shoot outside of the Bay Area... until I finally did it. I was editing in specific dramatic ways that were similar to other photographers, and eventually I decided to mess around and found a style that resonates with my own liking more. The risks don't need to be big, but any type of risk will help make you a better creator! 🙂 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gomzzzzzzzzzz said:

Hi Nicole,

As you already know, I'm a big fan of your work. My goal is to become a Sony ambassador, focusing on wildlife photography full-time, and to work on National Geographic and BBC documentaries. What guidance would you give me to help achieve this?

Best,

Gomz 

I love this goal so much! 🥹 Wildlife photographers are so incredible, and wow it would be so epic to work with NatGeo and BBC! I absolutely think you can achieve this goal in the future - your work is already so good! I personally think you're already killing it out there, but if I were to give you any guidance to help achieve it faster, I think it's important to remember never to give up and to just keep pushing yourself to new extremes and push your boundaries. Keep traveling, and just keep getting out there and shooting and editing. You've been branching out into new creative depths; I've definitely been watching your work. Just stay motivated and keep the inspiration alive and creative juices flowing! 🙌

19 hours ago, download said:

Hey Nicole!

How do you approach color grading to achieve the mood and atmosphere you want in your photos? Are there any specific tools or presets you rely on?

Hello! 🥰

I actually use my own presets that I tweak about once per year into more of the steady changes I see myself doing on all of my edits 👀 My presets have been an absolute solid ground base for all of my edits to help me keep everything somewhat consistent and make all of my edits I put out there feel like my own. 

There are tons of epic photographers out there who sell their presets as well, and while I don't sell mine I definitely think it's worth it to look into others who do sell theirs and whos content you're a big fan of, and if you don't already have your own I think it would be great for you to create your own this way you can have a starting point for all of your edits moving forward 🙂 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ANguyen said:

What are some tips and strategies for an artist wanting to grow a community around their work?

Ah, big fan of this one 🥹

I've always been an introvert, but believe me when I say putting myself out there even when it felt uncomfortable to do so and making friends in this community has been the biggest lifesaver both in my personal life and becoming a part of the photo community! I can positively say that 99% of any community you're looking to be a part of is genuinely really sweet and open minded, so if you run into anyone who isn't don't let them cloud your judgement. Just start engaging with peoples work, it's the easiest way to break through the initial layer. Try to find creators who live around where you do, and hang out with them! Go shoot together, or edit together in a coffee shop. When you're out shooting, don't be scared to talk to the other creators you see around you. I've made so many friends just by saying "hey!" when they're shooting the same location for sunrise or sunset. It's so easy to make friends in your community when you don't put pressure on it, and these friends will also help you see things from new perspectives which will ultimately help you grow as a creator as well! 🤍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SRodriguez said:

Hey Nicole! Any advice for people who are in a rut creatively?

Hey! Creative ruts are the absolute worst. I cannot stand when I'm in one, but they definitely are going to happen at least once to everyone. Something I like to do when I'm in a creative rut is travel someplace new. Being in a new environment I've never been gets me really inspired and excited to create. When traveling isn't an option, try to start doing things for fun. Your brain and body more than likely need a refresh and relaxing day (or few days) away from any type of pressure, and when you do things for fun you'll eventually stop feeling drained and start getting your motivation back 🙂 

• Like 1