RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Forum Takeover with Brooke Shaden

alpha-jessica-a

16 hours ago, EJohnson said:

How has your approach to art evolved since you first began photographing yourself? Has your relationship with your inner world changed through your work?

One of the very first insults I received as an artist was that my work looked like it was created for shock value. I was so angry about it at the time, because of course, for any artist, there's always more going on under the surface than meets the eye. But looking back on that comment, I tend to agree. I created a lot of works that showed the most surface level of the ideas I had in my mind. In some ways, they were more "popular" because they were easier to understand with less need for nuance. Here are some of those works:

Could contain: Back, Person, Adult, Female, Woman, Bathing, Sink, Bathtub, Dressing Room, Indoors

I think my work has been sinking like an iceberg ever since. In a good way, if we're talking about my inner world. 20% of it lives on the surface, but 80% of it requires we go deeper together. I find it a lot more satisfying, in depth, and revealing about who I am and who we are as people collectively. Here is an example of how my concepts and visuals have evolved:

Could contain: Art, Painting, Person, Fashion, Plant, Tree

My internal evolution has been this: I can now much more easily put a name to the way I see and interact with the world, and in doing so, can go deeper into exploring what that is, and what it means. I can more easily relate how I feel to other people's experiences.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, download said:

Hi Brooke! So excited to learn from you!!

What would you say is your favorite part of your creative process?

Anything that makes me feel alive! Like when I find myself out on a photo shoot that has me jumping in a frozen lake, or climbing a mountain or a tree, or going to a place I've never been...or even photographing myself at an angle I've never seen before. But then, isn't it funny, those parts of the process that make you feel most alive are also what we tend to avoid the most. 

Getting the motivation to actually do those things isn't always easy. Would I rather sit on my couch and read a good book than get up at 5am to jump in a frozen lake? Definitely, without a doubt. But actually doing the shoot always elevates my day to something memorable, and brilliantly uncomfortable.

As for many artists, I do love seeing the idea come together. I'm very much a planner - most of my ideas are already formed before I ever pick up my camera. Getting into editing, losing myself to the hours and hours of digital brush strokes - that's where I feel most comfortable, most at peace. Listening to an audiobook while I composite, and change colors, and transform an image from something mundane to something otherworldly is my happy place.

Could contain: Dress, Formal Wear, Fashion, Adult, Bride, Female, Person, Woman, Gown, Portrait

• Like 1

Hi Brooke!! 

1- if someone feels overwhelmed about getting their work out there , what is some beginner steps besides social media? / how to start to build your CV? 

call to entries, art shows, local art markets? , submit to galleries? , etc! 

2- what’s one thing someone can do to take their art from a hobby to a profitable and / or more business minded hobby? 

thanks so much!! 

Hello Brooke!

Since promoting passion I have been so crazy inspired. I have two questions if that’s ok?

I have been working on a new series and that’s pretty much none stop, I’m in full creative mode which is great! Except for the fact that I still need to make money. There are so many opportunities I want to apply for but my brain isn’t very businesslike at the moment. Do you have any tips for proposal writing?

My second question is, could you please critique my new work? It’s early in the series but it’s progressing quite quickly. It would be really good to get feedback now so I can improve before started the next image. Once I complete 10 images I want to use it to display in galleries/university galleries, submit to IPA and hopefully use it to get more album art commissions. 

Could contain: Clothing, Dress, Person, Formal Wear, Evening Dress

Could contain: Person, Back, Body Part

Could contain: Mountain, Nature, Outdoors, Person

Hi Brooke! I’ve admired your work for a long time! How do you get yourself out of a creative rut? And do you go into a project with a plan, or just get started and see where things lead?

Thank you!

Gina 

Hi Brooke,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise with us. I really appreciate your generosity and the thoughtfulness you bring to your work.

I have a question about the ideation and conceptualization of images. When you're storyboarding your ideas, do you have a method or metric you rely on to ensure that your intended meaning is coming across to the audience?

For some context, I’ve often received feedback that my work can be "too cerebral" with suggestions that I should simplify and more directly convey what I’m trying to express. This might stem from my filmmaking background, where I’ve always been conscious of not "dumbing down" my audience. I’d love to hear your thoughts on striking the right balance—how do you stay true to complex, layered ideas while making sure the message isn’t lost on the viewer? How do you navigate that in your own creative process?

(I've attached an image which recently received this type of critique.)

Thank you again for your insight!

Could contain: Photography, Face, Head, Person, Portrait, Adult, Female, Woman, Nature, Outdoors

22 hours ago, Sharketti Creative said:

My biggest struggle right now is staying in the “Creative flow” because I’m also a husband and father of two. I know you’ve fostered children before, how did you find time to create during those times?

True story - when I knew I was getting licensed to foster but we didn't have a child yet, I spent 6 months leading up to his expected arrival date creating twice the amount of art and content for social media. Then, for the first six months after he got here, I had a video to share per week, new art per week, and more. It was a little unhinged now that I think back on it. And I found it unnecessary. Here's why 👇

I began fostering in December 2019. He was 21 months, had a significant amount of trauma, and then the pandemic started a few months later. I was home with him 24-7 with very little help. But something got triggered in my mind - the memory of how I used to create when I first picked up my camera. In that first year of my art, I had a day job, but I still managed to create something new almost every single day.

So, I would get up extra early (he usually woke up between 5:30-6am, so I'd wake up at 4:45am and do a photo shoot). If he napped I'd edit and/or get emails finished. After he went to bed (8ish), I'd finish up the image I'd started, or keep working on it and be in bed by 9. Not everyday went like that, because of course true rest and recovery is important. But many days were.

What I'm trying to say is - whatever is taking up your time, whether it's caregiving or work or a difficult situation - it is temporary. So that push to be creative in the nooks and crannies of our life is often worth it, knowing it won't be like that forever, but the satisfaction and tether to your own soul that you get from it is so important. 

Tip: Spend some time writing down LOTS of ideas. Anything that sounds interesting to you. And then put a plan to each image. How will you make it, what materials do you need, etc. Then, stockpile. When you find yourself with those 30 minutes free in the day, you won't have to figure out what you're doing. You already know! Just jump in and shoot. That's how I manage it.

I also took my kids on photo shoots during the day when I could!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jimmie Parten Art said:

Hi Brooke!! 

1- if someone feels overwhelmed about getting their work out there , what is some beginner steps besides social media? / how to start to build your CV? 

call to entries, art shows, local art markets? , submit to galleries? , etc! 

2- what’s one thing someone can do to take their art from a hobby to a profitable and / or more business minded hobby? 

thanks so much!! 

1. Get yourself an accountability/critique group. This doesn't directly answer your question, but having a group of artists who can regularly post opportunities they see will help everyone to be more in the know about where to submit their art. It is great for feedback and growing confidence in your art quickly. Meet 1x per month, look at and give feedback on each other's new work. This is the #1 recommendation I can give.

2. Reach out to magazines and blogs. By reaching out to magazines, you'll put your work in front of curators and if they accept you, get a good mark for your CV. Same goes for blogs - reach out with a short article already written that would appeal to their audience.

3. Follow Mary Virginia Swanson on Instagram. She posts a curated selection of all the best open art calls, grants, and other opportunities. And follow along with Lensscratch and Lensculture.

4. Local art markets are a great idea, but they are difficult to maintain because of needing to set everything up yourself (the tent alone!) so do this if you are serious about investing a good amount up front, as you'll need prints as well and the energy to set it all up and tear it down.

5. Attend art-related events, especially those intended for community / networking. This could be in-person or online events, classes, or groups like this one! Honestly, asking a question here, and doing so with some regularity, will attract attention. (For the record, I don't often do events and just had a dream last night that I went to a networking event and threw up in the bushes outside and ran away. So. Take this with a grain of salt. BUT, two years ago I pushed myself to go to a writers conference and walked away with my writing group, and I can say 100% I am not the same person because of them. OODLES more confident in my writing, and knowledgeable.) Speaking of events, Sony hosts all sorts of events that are FREE to join. Are you part of the Sony Alpha Female facebook group? Do it! There are 15k people there, very supportive. 

6. Submit to open calls for exhibitions. That's how I built up my CV. I had 12 open call shows on my CV before my first gallery represented me. Have about 3-5 prints you have ready to take to local shows (local being in driving distance). 

When I began photography, I asked myself a simple question: What are 3 ways I'd like to eventually make money through my craft?

My answer: make books, teach workshops, and sell prints.

I began all of those things right away, even though they weren't profitable yet. 

- I began writing to galleries, and almost everyone said no, but I was putting my work out there. I applied for juried shows which I did begin getting into. I sold 4 prints that first year, which didn't even cover the cost of the prints themselves.

- I self-published a book through Blurb which sold some, but not enough to make any real money.

- I put the word out that I was hosting my first workshop. I had wanted 15 people but 8 showed up. I charged very little, but I did it, and I learned from it.

Fast forward 14 years to now, and I still do those things. Except, in 2021, I published a 250 page art book through a legit publisher. I speak all around the world, giving motivational talks and teaching workshops that I actually get paid for. And, to date, I've sold over 400 limited edition, fine art prints

As time goes on, you can expand your purview. Now, I have many income streams: photography books, writing, teaching, speaking, prints, licensing, commissions, mentoring, convention host, brand ambassadorships. But they will come in time. Focus at first on 1-3 ideas to start with.

This is how we begin...By beginning. It won't be profitable at first, but if you outline how you want to spend your time in your ideal life and go after those things with clarity, I believe the rest will come.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mickey Salvo said:

Hello Brooke!

Since promoting passion I have been so crazy inspired. I have two questions if that’s ok?

I have been working on a new series and that’s pretty much none stop, I’m in full creative mode which is great! Except for the fact that I still need to make money. There are so many opportunities I want to apply for but my brain isn’t very businesslike at the moment. Do you have any tips for proposal writing?

My second question is, could you please critique my new work? It’s early in the series but it’s progressing quite quickly. It would be really good to get feedback now so I can improve before started the next image. Once I complete 10 images I want to use it to display in galleries/university galleries, submit to IPA and hopefully use it to get more album art commissions. 

Could contain: Clothing, Dress, Person, Formal Wear, Evening Dress

Could contain: Person, Back, Body Part

Could contain: Mountain, Nature, Outdoors, Person

Do you have any tips for proposal writing?

I'm so glad to hear you're in a creative burst! Best feeling ever. There are so many ways to write proposals, so let's start with some basic tenets:

1. Understand what makes your art appealing to others. It is often what is appealing to you. What is the deep nugget that you're trying to express to people? That nugget is often cloaked in the visuals and the immediate draw of the image. Think of it like gold - gold is housed in the earth, surrounded by dirt and rock. The dirt and rock are your visuals. The gold in the center is your deepest idea. Communicate the gold when you write a proposal.

2. Think of those people reading your proposal. What would you want to hear if you were reading proposals? You'd want to know what sets the work apart from others, because art is a dime a dozen, and so is good art. It's not enough to be good. How does your work impact our world? How does it impact individuals? Why is that important right now?

3. Get a critique group. If you want share your work with others, you'll get better feedback about what's really interesting about your work. It's extremely hard to see yourself. It's like not being able to see the forest for the trees. 

4. Get to the heart of why this art and why are you the one making itIf you can do that, you have a really good shot.

My second question is, could you please critique my new work?

Absolutely! Here are my first impressions:

1. On a visual level, your color palette is really cohesive and eye-catching. I want to keep looking at it to see the nuances in the colors and forms happening in the work.

2. Conceptually, they each depict a sense of distress to me, each one, in their own way, speaking to mortality and being part of a larger whole. The first image is the clearest of them conceptually, in that I can place the outline of the wood as coffin-esque imagery, and therefore can understand the theme of mortality clearly. In the second, there's almost a cosmic feeling in it, with the diaphanous quality of the material around the subject. And the third feels similar to the second, making me think these people are being swallowed by something greater in the universe. 

3. The last image is almost too abstract for me compared to the rest. I have a hard time seeing exactly what is happening with the surroundings and the subject/pose. This isn't a critique exactly, except to say I'd either explore more in the realm of abstract art if that's the direction you feel pulled to, or I'd make it a little clearer to pick out what's happening in that image. Either way would work well.

4. Overall, my challenge to you is: how can you take imagery like these (which are fabulous) and push your ideas further. What hasn't been said yet in a way that only you can? I want to see who Mickey is, without a doubt, through your imagery. That's not to say change these images, but as you progress, see if you can create some works that position your opinion or your beliefs in the forefront. I think that would be a fascinating next step.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ginasr said:

Hi Brooke! I’ve admired your work for a long time! How do you get yourself out of a creative rut? And do you go into a project with a plan, or just get started and see where things lead?

Thank you!

Gina 

I treat creative ruts in two ways:

1. I recognize I need to rest, and I do. I usually know when my creative rut is caused by this because, well, I'm tired! I've been working too hard for too long and my brain and body need a break.

2. Usually though, this is the one - I have to re-center myself around my purpose. If you are feeling creatively uninspired, ask yourself what you were put on this earth to do. When you die, what do you want to be remembered for? What opinions and beliefs do you hold that are important to share with the world? Remember that you are an individual with the capacity to make an impact on the world. When I re-center myself around my purpose, I often find myself freshly inspired.

3. Another great exercise is to ask yourself: If you could only create on one single topic/idea for the next year, no matter what, what idea or topic appeals to you? That often helps narrow your mind on a single idea, and forces you to dive deeper to see that idea in unexpected ways. That often helps jumpstart my creativity.

As for going into a project, I almost always have a plan. I'm a big planner in my work, and don't find photography to be fun if I go out without knowing what I'm trying to accomplish. Now, to be clear, I go on hikes daily and scout locations and spend a lot of time thinking, so when it's time to get my camera, that backend work is already finished.

Could contain: Art, Painting, Person, Drawing

Thank you for your kindness, Gina!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Katherine Dickson said:

Hi Brooke,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise with us. I really appreciate your generosity and the thoughtfulness you bring to your work.

I have a question about the ideation and conceptualization of images. When you're storyboarding your ideas, do you have a method or metric you rely on to ensure that your intended meaning is coming across to the audience?

For some context, I’ve often received feedback that my work can be "too cerebral" with suggestions that I should simplify and more directly convey what I’m trying to express. This might stem from my filmmaking background, where I’ve always been conscious of not "dumbing down" my audience. I’d love to hear your thoughts on striking the right balance—how do you stay true to complex, layered ideas while making sure the message isn’t lost on the viewer? How do you navigate that in your own creative process?

(I've attached an image which recently received this type of critique.)

Thank you again for your insight!

Could contain: Photography, Face, Head, Person, Portrait, Adult, Female, Woman, Nature, Outdoors

I think a key component here is leading with emotion. How do you make someone look deeper into the meaning? Make them feel. There are countless ways to achieve this. In the image you presented, I think you have successfully created a strong emotional bond to the viewer, and the primary mode you've achieved this through is theatricality, or the use of facial expression and body language to convey a certain emotion. The mysterious background also achieves this, creating a sense of the unknown. 

If you present an image that must be thought through in order to feel any connection to it, then I would agree with the critique you received. However, I have come to understand that there are many types of artist and art critics in the world. Some understand conceptual art and operate on that wavelength, while others have a fundamental distaste for it, or simply don't understand it. I'd challenge you to get critiques from more people, and if I were to weigh in, my feedback would be quite different to those saying your work is "too cerebral". 

As you move forward, remember that presentation of the work matters as well as what you write about it and how. Those can all equally change the way a person perceives your art. I think you're doing what you set out to do. As someone well versed in conceptual imagery, I see someone reaching for help, drowning, being lost to the darkness, and a different version of that same self who doesn't know how to help the other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NoahBrown said:

Hi Brooke! What advice would you give to someone who wants to explore their darker side through photography or self-portraiture but may feel intimidated or unsure where to start?

1. Remember that we all have dark sides. Even, and maybe especially, those who refuse to acknowledge them. Exploring that part of yourself will not only bring you closer to who you really are, but possibly also help someone else do the same. An act of bravery inspires bravery in others.

2. The late great darkroom photographer Jerry Uelsmann once said that if he has a goal, it is to surprise himself. Since hearing him say that, I have taken it as my personal motto. 

3. Try starting with a theme, some idea or emotion that you think is interesting. Then decide how deeply you feel comfortable going with that idea, and then go one level deeper.

4. Ask yourself how you want to portray that idea. Pose, color, landscape/location, time of day, time period, props, wardrobe, expression, etc. For me, when I break it down into those component parts, it becomes less intimidating and more like a puzzle. I can be analytical.

5. Most importantly, ask yourself where you feel the most resistance to beginning this project. That's where you should begin.

• Like 1

Hi Brooke!

Printing! I understand that u outsource your printing to the pros. May I ask what is your choice of papers to be use, and or any insight in your printing requirement/process. 

Thank you. Didn't know u are a Trekkie too! 

Hi Brooke! I love your view on art and the way you share your knowledge. 

I've been creating self-portraits for some time now and I haven't seen any improvement. I'm taking photography and photoshop courses but I feel like I've hit the wall. What would you recommend to get better, deeper and more emotional images? In your opinion, how much does that depend on the equipment used?

I feel very stuck and unsure about my next steps in pursuing this career. What would you advise to someone who is not new but haven't had any luck in turning this style of photography into a business? 

9 hours ago, Sharketti Creative said:

Do you ever create something new and go, "Wow, that looks really cool, but it doesn't really fit my style"?  How hard is it for you to put work in the "discard" pile?

I very rarely find that my work doesn't fit my style, but then again, I began photography not for the love of photography, but because I had a very specific vision of what I wanted my art to look like, and photography was the vehicle. So, even though my creations tend not to fall outside my visual wheelhouse, I often put things in the discard pile! 

In fact, I just debuted a new exhibition at the beginning of this month called Happy Accidents, featuring works I'd previously deemed failures! To my complete shock, it was a huge hit! I sold all but 2 of the works by the end of opening night. (That is really unusual and almost never happens, for the record!).

I don't find it difficult to discard because I know that 1) Eventually, the disappointment of it will fade and I'll either come to realize it was a bad idea, or I'll do it again better, and 2) I rarely actually discard images. I put them in an "In Progress" folder and sometimes they stay there for a decade, no joke. But I often revisit them, just to see if *now* is the right time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sharketti Creative said:

By chance, have you been in touch with any galleries in Colorado? I would love to see your work in person!

I actually debuted a series of mine called Samsara in a little museum in Golden, Colorado a couple of years ago. It was gorgeous. Colorado is one of my top favorite states so I'm always hoping to find an excuse to go there. Maybe I'll do some digging for some good galleries there!

The galleries that represent my work are in Laguna Beach & NYC (JoAnne Artman Gallery), Atlanta (dk Gallery), and New Orleans (Spillman Blackwell Gallery), so if you ever find yourself traveling, they all keep my work permanently! 

• Like 1