RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Trek Rover - Photographing Dance Performers in Low Light and Changing Conditions

TrekRover

If you saw my previous post about the Sumo Wrestling Tournament in Japan, I've been doing a mini East Asia tour in Japan and China the past month. Throughout my trip, I had a lot of fun opportunities to photograph in different situations and environments and it was fun, challenging, and a great learning experience. One particular fun experience was a dinner dance performance show I attended in Xian, China called: "Empress of the Great Tang". The story is based on the life of the famous historical figure in China: Empress Wu Ze-tian of the Tang Dynasty(618-907 CE).

What made this an enjoyable and fun experience to photograph was the unique venue, vibrant costumes, flashing color lights, and the movements of the artists. I shot with a Sony a1 and the 70-200mm f2.8 lens. To maintain maximum flexibility, I used manual settings to change according to the performance act. My goal was to try to maintain the highest sharpness while maintaining low noise in my photos.

Speed: 1/320
ISO: 1600-2000
AF: AF-C
Burst Hi+

Could contain: Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Dancing, Leisure Activities, Face, Head, Group Performance, Helmet

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Adult, Bride, Female, Wedding, Woman, Group Performance, Face

Could contain: Adult, Bride, Female, Person, Wedding, Woman, Dancing, Performer, Solo Performance, Face

Could contain: Dancing, Person, Adult, Female, Woman, Stage, Sword, Weapon, Helmet, Face

Could contain: Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Bride, Wedding, Face, Head, Stage, Musician

Could contain: Stage, Adult, Bride, Female, Person, Wedding, Woman, Festival, Dancing, Leisure Activities

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Adult, Bride, Female, Wedding, Woman, Dance Pose, Face

Could contain: Adult, Bride, Female, Person, Wedding, Woman, Dancing, Leisure Activities, Face, Accessories

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Performer, Solo Performance, Adult, Bride, Female, Wedding, Woman

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Adult, Bride, Female, Woman, Stage, Solo Performance, Face

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Adult, Female, Woman, Bride, Wedding, Stage, Face

Could contain: Person, Sword, Dancing, Adult, Female, Woman, Face, Group Performance, Finger, Concert

Could contain: Concert, Person, Solo Performance, Light, Adult, Female, Woman, Dancing, Sword, Lighting

Could contain: Light, Person, Performer, Solo Performance, Face, Head

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Adult, Female, Woman, Performer, Solo Performance, Face, Lighting

Could contain: Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Performer, Solo Performance, Dancing, Leisure Activities, Face, Head

Could contain: Performer, Person, Solo Performance, Dancing, Leisure Activities, Face, Head

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Performer, Solo Performance, Face, Head

Could contain: Dancing, Leisure Activities, Person, Group Performance, Adult, Bride, Female, Wedding, Woman, Face

Could contain: Dancing, Person, Adult, Bride, Female, Woman, Solo Performance, Blouse, Face, Dance Pose

Could contain: Dancing, Person, Solo Performance, Adult, Bride, Female, Woman, Blouse, Clothing, Face

Could contain: Dancing, Person, Adult, Bride, Female, Woman, Solo Performance, Dance Pose, Stage, Blouse

Edited by TrekRover
Spelling mistakes and added in camera settings
  • Like 1

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply