RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Sony A9iii battery usage

Skyamano12

I have been shooting professionally with Sony Alpha cameras for the last several years. I shoot concerts with Sony A7iii, A9ii, A7Riii and now the A9iii. I usually shoot around 1000 images per camera and I have the extra battery grip on all my cameras and have never come close to using up both batteries over the course of a shoot. 

My new A9iii (with battery grip) is a great addition to my arsenal, but I have noticed my batteries have been using up much faster than usual, I think. Or maybe I'm just using the camera harder than my others, or maybe my batteries need to be replaced?  I only use Sony OEM batteries. I usually shoot in L drive mode on all of my cameras. I have been working this new A9iii pretty hard and when I'm approaching 2000 images my batteries are usually close to empty. Just wondering if this is normal.

I guess my question is, if maybe I have certain options on or running that are draining my batteries. I have the wifi off. Airplane mode is on. One note, over the course of the day, I do use H and M drive/burst mode 3-4 times for maybe a total of 100-200 photos. 

Also does anyone know why the A9iii, with battery grip, uses the batteries simultaneously instead of one then the other? Any info would be great, thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By any chance do you use the Creator App? If I remember correctly, the Creator App will maintain a Bluetooth connection in the background to your camera if you paired it. Bluetooth technology typically requires way more power than Wifi, even in other technology products, like smartphones. I would recommend try turning on off Bluetooth if it happens to be on and see if that helps preserve your power longer. Side note Airplane mode won't block Bluetooth as Bluetooth is meant for short range communication.