RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Anyone getting started with manual exposure? I'd love to help!

CarolineJensen

Getting started with manual exposure is one of the best things you can do to become a better photographer. It gives a deeper understanding of photography in general, but more importantly, it helps you to visualize your shots in advance. 

It can be overwhelming to switch to manual, but it becomes much easier if you set yourself up for success. Here are a few tips: 

1. Choose a subject that doesn't move and can be placed in natural, indoor light. I like to put a stuffed animal with eyes that are set close to the position of human eyes, like a teddy bear or doll, on a chair next to a window. Try to avoid more than one light source. Turn off overhead lights and floor lamps. 

2. Get a lens that gives you control. I suggest new photographers use a 'nifty-fifty.' Sony has a great one, which I will link. A fixed focal length lens with a wide maximum aperture is very versatile. You will be able to clearly see how a wide range of apertures changes the look of your images, both in the amount of light it can take in and appearacne of the out of focus areas in your images. 

3. Shoot with your inanimate subject as many times throughout the day as possible. One window will provide many types of light...soft, diffused, hard, bright, low light, etc. Being really diligent to shoot in one window has great benefits! It is important to allow the opportunity to trouble shoot. It's through the struggle that fluency develops. Try not to shoot all over the house looking for 'better' light! 

Also... have fun! Learning manual may be boring at times, but fluency happens quickly when you set yourself up for success. 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...