RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Focal length comparison for portraits

tonygale

I thought I would share this comparison I did with a friend for a presentation I did for Sony and B&H.

This is how different focal lengths look with similar framing for portraits. The f/stop was f/5.6 on all of them. The portrait subject stayed in the same place, I moved progressively back to keep the framing similar as I used longer focal lengths. This was done with the 12-24/4 G, the 24-105/G and the 100-400 GM

1208i159103C9E4C35932.thumb.jpg.ad475d02b5efb630162d766dd10ba666.jpg

#Alpha 7R IV (a7RIV) #FE 12-24mm F4 G #FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS #FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

your post offers us all such a great reminder about distortion in wide angle lenses when shooting people!  I love using the 24GM for portraits but you have to be really careful not to bend people up!  My longtime preferences are 50GM, 85, 135GM, 70-200GMII, 24-70GMII, and the 90 macro.

Very cool Tony. I always hear about a 50mm being a great “portrait” lens. But if it’s not a full length or at least waist up portrait, it looks like it stretches a person’s face. To me, your longer focal length photos of him look more natural and face less stretched which is interesting to be able to compare. Thanks!

Very cool Tony. I always hear about a 50mm being a great “portrait” lens. But if it’s not a full length or at least waist up portrait, it looks like it stretches a person’s face. To me, your longer focal length photos of him look more natural and face less stretched which is interesting to be able to compare. Thanks!

I agree

your post offers us all such a great reminder about distortion in wide angle lenses when shooting people!  I love using the 24GM for portraits but you have to be really careful not to bend people up!  My longtime preferences are 50GM, 85, 135GM, 70-200GMII, 24-70GMII, and the 90 macro.

Lots of good lenses there 

• 2 weeks later...