RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Favorite Sony Alpha Feature?

tonygale

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eye-AF is the reason I came to Sony. It is amazing and works better than I expected. But another element that I love about Sony Alphas are the weight and size. I love to travel , and those specs help me carry what I need without breaking my back.

The weight and size is a great thing for sure!

• Like 1

I don't know if this would be considered a feature, but lens selection is what I want to go with. There is something for all skill levels and budgets. 

It's not only a feature, it is an advantage! I have many college students who cannot afford native lenses, making cheaper, good third party lenses more desirable and feasible to them.

• Like 2

My favorite feaure is definitely the lens selection as well. There are some other manufacturers that I used to shoot with that arent "friendly" to third party lens support that made me switch. 😂

It's is amazing hiw much is available, plus everything that can be adapted!

• 2 weeks later...

ISO Setting: ISO AUTO Min. SS

This feature alone is one of the main reasons I use Sony.  It is so simple yet no other camera systems I have used offer an equivalent.  There are many times when the old "1/focal length" rule is not optimal.  Being able to dial the shutter speed to focal length ratio up or down is supremely useful.  For wide angle landscape work I'll set it down to "slow" which is ~1 stop slower than standard.  With IBIS/OIS at wide angles I can easily hand hold slower shutter speeds to get a lower, cleaner ISO.  With long lenses for action, I dial it up to "fastest"  because I am willing to live with some high ISO noise to get crisply frozen action with a shutter speed 4x the "standard".

• Like 1

ISO Setting: ISO AUTO Min. SS

This feature alone is one of the main reasons I use Sony.  It is so simple yet no other camera systems I have used offer an equivalent.  There are many times when the old "1/focal length" rule is not optimal.  Being able to dial the shutter speed to focal length ratio up or down is supremely useful.  For wide angle landscape work I'll set it down to "slow" which is ~1 stop slower than standard.  With IBIS/OIS at wide angles I can easily hand hold slower shutter speeds to get a lower, cleaner ISO.  With long lenses for action, I dial it up to "fastest"  because I am willing to live with some high ISO noise to get crisply frozen action with a shutter speed 4x the "standard".

That is a good one!

Of course the Sony AF system is incredible! I also love the ability to customize all the buttons on the camera. Every photographer has a different way of shooting and being able to set up the Sony camera to make it easy to work with is really fantastic.

Fantastic indeed!

• 1 month later...

I would have to say Eye AF for both stills and video.  As soon as I started taking advantage of this one feature, just about all my images are near perfectly in focus on eyes, especially with a1.  When I look back into my files sometimes to find older images to fill requests, I'm always shocked to find so many out of focus images.  pm-r 🙂

• 1 month later...