RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Have the 1.4TC do I really need the 2.0

Pvanderveen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how much the reach is important to you. I actually struggled so much with the TC decision as well. I ended up getting the 2.0 TC for the reach. The problem with the 2.0TC is you sacrifice more stops of light. Ideally, you need to be in pretty bright conditions for good image results. I heard overall 1.4 TC had better image quality than the 2.0TC 

Remember that for the 2x you'll lose 2 stops of light, putting your aperture at f/11-13. It is nice to have if you'll be using a long shutter speed or shooting a very bright subject, like the moon. But the 1.4x is more than enough. I got sharp moon shots with the 100-400mm f/4-5.6 GM with the 1.4x at 560mm and f/8. I also had the a7RIV to punch in. The extra megapixels do help for cropping after.1376i241F7203B7AE48E8.thumb.jpg.878df0809939d706d3c0b4d572e2aae0.jpg

I have experience with both the 1.4x and 2x TCs on both the 200-600 and 70-200II. On the 200-600, forget about it. The loss in resolution is too drastic in my personal opinion, just stick with the 1.4. Now, the 70-200II actually handles it nicely in certain situations. Obviously, you'll see some drop in quality but I've gotten good results with it. The 2x really only works well on the 70-200II, 400GM, and 600GM.

I’ve used the 2.0x on the 70-200 GM II and the 200-600mm and in both cases the photos were soft and auto focus lagged a little more than I wanted. I did some tests where I used the 2x and then some where I cropped instead, and the cropped photos were always better. 

I would say no...I prefer to just crop in with my high resolution cameras. What camera are you shooting with? 

I agree with Caroline. TCs always add optical aberrations of their own; they cannot make anything sharper, just upsize the center of an image. Cropping a high-res sensor, or even shooting with an APS-C camera, is better than a TC.

In my case I use the a6000 as a backup to my a7iii and can thus use it as a simple "TC". The main disadvantage is roughly the same (light loss per pixel) but with no extra optics in the light path, quality should actually be better.