RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

I need a Pocket Camera

LensBrew

I just read a post here regarding being accountable for paying for gear and taking more photos. Thank you Fatbeardmedia!

I will sound contradicting to my intro, but I need to get a pocket camera. I want to relieve my back from carrying gear (even if it's a single body-lens combo). 

I'm in need to some feedback to select one of two: RX100mk7 or RX1Rmk2.

They both sound good on paper, but I feel I need some ultimatums to settle on one.

P.S. I just need it for still only.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RX100 VII is probably one of the best 'pocket' cameras I've ever used. Super slim, great photo quality, and gets the job done. 

With my luck, I get the mk7 today and mk8 comes out next week.

Yes, I've seen too many camera YouTubers in Japan, including DPReview. That's a sign to me.

The RX100 series is fantastic! I have had the RX100, RX100III and now the RX100VI. The VI and VII have a 24-200 equivalent lens. Great pocket cameras. The RX1RII is a great little camera too, but not quite as pocketable

The RX1Rii has a full frame sensor, and that is why I'm tempting to get it. But not being pocketable is a downside, and for the price I'm tempted to get the a7r5.

One more thing, I can't find anything regarding Steady Shoot. Does IBIS not exist in these cameras?

this might sound crazy LensBrew but have you considered the Xperia Phones from Sony?  The lenses are really fantastic as are the sensors inside.  It might be worth trying one and testing the camera portion out against whatever you are using.  I have made some pretty amazing images with my Xperia 1 Mark II as well as the Xperia 5 MarkII before.  It's been said by many in the past that the best camera is the one you have on you when you want to shoot something.  Nothing beats a phone for this, that's for sure...

this might sound crazy LensBrew but have you considered the Xperia Phones from Sony?  The lenses are really fantastic as are the sensors inside.  It might be worth trying one and testing the camera portion out against whatever you are using.  I have made some pretty amazing images with my Xperia 1 Mark II as well as the Xperia 5 MarkII before.  It's been said by many in the past that the best camera is the one you have on you when you want to shoot something.  Nothing beats a phone for this, that's for sure...

Hey PM-R, I know how wonderful sony phones are, andI would like to have one. But, I dislike the android OS (this will kick off the old fight) and I'm very happy with apple's eco system.

Even though phones are getting better, I still like to optics on lenses and a bigger sensor (lower pixel density). I've tried and tested most image capturing devices, andI'm the happiest with full frame sensors. Though I wouldn't mind a medium format Sony.

Thank you for the tip.

If we need to talk exclusively about these two, if you have the budget, I'd go with the RX1R II for sure.

That's a dream of a camera, right in the middle between a bigger and a smaller pro body.

Is just so beautiful and small... but it's rather expensive. And you need to consider at least two extra batteries if you shoot a lot.

But I don't know, it all depends on your budget, what you need to and what you want to capture.

If we need to talk exclusively about these two, if you have the budget, I'd go with the RX1R II for sure.
That's a dream of a camera, right in the middle between a bigger and a smaller pro body.
Is just so beautiful and small... but it's rather expensive. And you need to consider at least two extra batteries if you shoot a lot.
But I don't know, it all depends on your budget, what you need to and what you want to capture.

It's not an issue with budget, but with "pocket-ability" so to speak. If the camera has to be carried in a bag, then getting it out becomes a hassle and I miss all the shots. But if it is in my pocket, that I'm inclined to take it out and shoot. It might sound like a silly problem, but it is very frequent and I think many people go through the same. A phone is the easiest solution, but I want to larger sensors and optical superiority that phones lack.

And on a personal note, holding and shooting a camera feels right compared to a phone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about timing a purchase for the 'latest' RX100 - these cameras have incredible longevity. My RX100 mk III is now the oldest camera in my back (er, pocket) and still making great images. It will burst fast enough to do sports in a pinch. If I were to replace it, I think my decision would hinge on picking between the fast 24-70 of the mk V or the longer 24-200 zoom and Eye-AF on the mk VII.

I'm a huge fan of the RX100VA, which is the last "fast lens" camera they made in the series.  Having 24-70mm with f/1.8- f/2.8 allows me to use this in very low light and get great results.  The camera is a dream at 24mm wide open.  Being able to zoom a little means a lot and the smaller more compact size will mean you can have it with you at all times.

I'm a huge fan of the RX100VA, which is the last "fast lens" camera they made in the series.  Having 24-70mm with f/1.8- f/2.8 allows me to use this in very low light and get great results.  The camera is a dream at 24mm wide open.  Being able to zoom a little means a lot and the smaller more compact size will mean you can have it with you at all times.

That reach is why I'm leaning towards the newest version VII, it would cover more needs as a pocket camera. What also tips me towards the newer model is the AF. I will need it with my kids around.

I wouldn't worry about timing a purchase for the 'latest' RX100 - these cameras have incredible longevity. My RX100 mk III is now the oldest camera in my back (er, pocket) and still making great images. It will burst fast enough to do sports in a pinch. If I were to replace it, I think my decision would hinge on picking between the fast 24-70 of the mk V or the longer 24-200 zoom and Eye-AF on the mk VII.

I'm leaning towards the longer reach VII. But seeing how old this model is, I'm anticipating an update to the series. The possibilities of better specs is endless. I feel I should wait patiently and see what Sony would come up with this year. I'm already excited for next year's 300mm lens, therefore I have high hopes this for year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the rx100 mk6 and i love that i can always have it with me. The RX1Rii is a favorite of many street photographers and it has an excellent lens, but it is a fixed focal length and has been around for many years. If Sony ever made a successor to the camera I would consider it as it has a full frame sensor

I have the rx100 mk6 and i love that i can always have it with me. The RX1Rii is a favorite of many street photographers and it has an excellent lens, but it is a fixed focal length and has been around for many years. If Sony ever made a successor to the camera I would consider it as it has a full frame sensor

That's is what I was thinking. But with the RX1R I would lose the pocket-ability function. But then again, our pockets are already too full with things, so a small sling with be more efficient. With this realization, I'm going for the RX1R. I saw some leaked images and a possibility of it getting updated, fingers crossed.

That's is what I was thinking. But with the RX1R I would lose the pocket-ability function. But then again, our pockets are already too full with things, so a small sling with be more efficient. With this realization, I'm going for the RX1R. I saw some leaked images and a possibility of it getting updated, fingers crossed.

so many of us are waiting for that update--hope you are right!

• Like 1