RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

I need lots of Help!!

WallStBroker

I’ve shot with my Nikon D500 for the past 8 years. I love the camera and acquired over 11 lenses, some prime, and some telephoto, over the years. I finally made the switch to Sony. I bought the A7R4  full frame and couldn’t be happier. The problem is I have so many Nikon lenses I thought I’d be able to use on my Sony. I went to B&H and tried a few adapters, and none of them really worked well with Nikon lenses. I now have my D500 with tons of 1.8 - 2.8 lenses and have the Sony with sigma 24-70 2.8 and 85 1.8 Sony. I want to be able to use all my Nikon lenses, but I don’t know how or what adapter to get since I’ve heard many kill the Sony camera after. I’m in NYC for a few more days and can go to Adorama or B&H, but I need professional guidance; otherwise, I can’t afford any more Sony lenses. Thank you all so much. It was a 2 year in the making switch for me from Nikon to Sony, but I didn’t expect such a lens issue in 2023. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only adapter I've seen that does a decent job is the Metabone. It is a hit an miss with each Nikon lens, since they have old focusing and on-lens aperture controls.And in all honesty, don't expect to have the same AF speed and capability (if it worked) as a native FE lens.

I also used to have a Nikon D610 and 5 prime Nikkor lenses. I switched to Sony for the superb AF (especially eye-AF) and have already exhausted the Nikon gear I have. It was time to sell and get some good money to move on the new era of mirrorless systems. I never regretted my decision, and I advise you to take the leap and sell your old gear. The market is good for used DSLR systems so you should get a good some to buy some great sony lenses, including a GM lens. You already have a couple of good lenses, you can make a road map of which next lenses you want to buy.

Unfortunately, photography as a hobby can be pretty expensive. But smart planning and purchasing can make it fun and affordable in the long run.

B&H or Adorama are great!  I/f they can't help you, I'd be surprised.

Yes, I had been to both yesterday, but as LensBrew mentioned, they said it's a hit or miss with these adapters, and the AF speed will never be the same. Some new monster adapter just came out, but it's unknown how good it is. Guess it's time to go to Sony full-time and sell all my Nikon gear. Thanks for your advice 😊

The only adapter I've seen that does a decent job is the Metabone. It is a hit an miss with each Nikon lens, since they have old focusing and on-lens aperture controls.And in all honesty, don't expect to have the same AF speed and capability (if it worked) as a native FE lens.

I also used to have a Nikon D610 and 5 prime Nikkor lenses. I switched to Sony for the superb AF (especially eye-AF) and have already exhausted the Nikon gear I have. It was time to sell and get some good money to move on the new era of mirrorless systems. I never regretted my decision, and I advise you to take the leap and sell your old gear. The market is good for used DSLR systems so you should get a good some to buy some great sony lenses, including a GM lens. You already have a couple of good lenses, you can make a road map of which next lenses you want to buy.

Unfortunately, photography as a hobby can be pretty expensive. But smart planning and purchasing can make it fun and affordable in the long run.

You're 100% correct here. That's what they told me at B&H yesterday the focus will never be the same and we tried maybe 3 different adapters to have hunting and other focus issues. I guess it's time to let go of all my Nikon stuff. This is my first Mirrorless and do you think I made the right choice for going for a 61mp out the gates? A7r5 is just out of my budget at the moment. I also picked up a Sony 70-200 f4 lens in excellent condition last night. What are your thoughts on my setup?

You're 100% correct here. That's what they told me at B&H yesterday the focus will never be the same and we tried maybe 3 different adapters to have hunting and other focus issues. I guess it's time to let go of all my Nikon stuff. This is my first Mirrorless and do you think I made the right choice for going for a 61mp out the gates? A7r5 is just out of my budget at the moment. I also picked up a Sony 70-200 f4 lens in excellent condition last night. What are your thoughts on my setup?

I got the R4 2 years ago. I need a second camera for sports and portraits. The reviews are supportive of my decision and it was recommended by many Alpha Collective members. So far I've been having a blast with it and it is amazing.

The 70-200 G s a great lens too. Although I got the GM mk2 since it is my work horse for indoor sports. I've seen couple of photographers around me that use the G f/4 version and they are happy with the quality of the photos. It is a good lens and will serve you for a long time. 

Alternative choices would depend on your needs. If you are looking for a zoom wide angle, the 12-24 f/4 is a good choice. As for the range between 24 and 70 I recommend going for primes, such as the 24mm f/2.8 G, 35mm f/1.8, 40mm f/2.5 G and 50mm 2.5 G. Each of the primes is sub $600. But that's if you need any in the future.

All Sony lenses are amazing, and the more demanding your work is the more expensive your choices would be. But you have a couple of solid lenses and you should be fine for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you've worked through your dilemma. While it can be difficult to let go of your old DSLR lenses, take some time to evaluate which ones you'd like to hold onto and use with MF. Some lenses just have a certain character to them.  The others could still fetch you some value as a trade-in or selling first-party. That could help fund your next purchase(s). Best of luck!

Nikon AF protocols and lens designs have been far less consistent than the Canon EF mount over the years.  This makes adapting Sony to Canon EF lenses much easier compared to Nikon.  There is no adapter available which offers universal Nikon compatibility.  The few Sony to Nikon AF adapters that exist have very limited compatibility with very specific Nikkor lenses.  Those Nikon lenses that do work on the Sony E-mount AF adapters simply do not perform as reliably as they did on a Nikon body.

Given the breadth of E-mount lenses available, you can find equivalent native mount lenses to replace nearly anything from Nikon.  You've invested in a powerful camera.  Take full advantage of it by pairing it with native mount glass.