RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Kids Birthday Party Photography - LENS?

MarkoRussell
Go to solution Solved by bjohnson,

Hello all!

I am going to be shooting some photos for a 1st birthday party 

I am wondering if you would suggest the 50mm lens or if the 70-300 Is better to allow for a wider variety of shot options?

The shoot will mainly be outdoors, but some indoor shots more in portrait format would be taken as well.

I was thinking the 50mm for that, and the other for the outdoor shots.

( im still getting a handle on choosing lenses obviously) any help would be great!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with the 50mm for sure. It will make you compose better pictures. Use zoom lenses when you can't move your physical position. Use fixed focal length lenses when you can move your physical position. It's amazing how much better your composition will be when you get closer to your subject by physically moving closer rather than zooming in. 

Go with the 50mm for sure. It will make you compose better pictures. Use zoom lenses when you can't move your physical position. Use fixed focal length lenses when you can move your physical position. It's amazing how much better your composition will be when you get closer to your subject by physically moving closer rather than zooming in. 

Thanks for this feedback on the post. It definitely gives some insight on the question at hand.
I have heard alot of people say they prefer PRIME lenses over ZOOM. I wonder if this is part the reason.

I’ll be the contrarian here 🙂

I’d go with the 70-300 all day. The 50mm is just so limiting and you’re outside so you really don’t need the low light capability. When my kids were young the sure-fire way to ruin a birthday party was to make everyone stop to take photos. Especially young kids - they don’t care. For me I used a zoom lens which let me stand back, watch, capture and stay out of everyone’s way and let the kids and adults enjoy the party. Have fun!

The 50mm all the way. While you will get more options with the other lens, anything past 50mm is really limiting for a majority of shooting situations. The 50mm is that perfect wideness and tightness to replicate what the human eye sees. Ultimately if you can bring both (or get 24-105) that's what I'd suggest going with. Happy shooting!

I'd take the zoom for the outdoor situations...kids are unpredictable and move constantly...you'll be running yourself ragged chasing them around with a 50. Bring the 50 and use it indoors if any more "formal" portrait situations arise, but outdoors, at a party full of six year olds? A zoom for sure! Throw the 50 in your pocket, but my bet is that the zoom will be much more useful. Kids are unpredictable (or they were when mine were that age!).

• Solution

If those are my choices I'd probably go with the 50mm. I agree with @davidmclain that your feet are always your best zoom, and if you will be shooting anything close and indoors you'll be wanting something wider and faster.

If I had to choose any one lens l'd go with the #FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS that others have mentioned on this thread. Lately this lens has been on my camera the most for general all around shooting. It does everything from landscapes to portraits and I've even shot some indoors basketball with it. It's for sure my "stuck on a desert island" lens!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply on this, that was my initial thoughts but I figured Id get some wisdom from others too LOL 

The 24-105G is an absolute workhorse and the zoom range is truly perfect for your assignment.  I'd definitely head in that direction.