See Official Sweepstakes Rules here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Niches

AkiraUehara

Hey everyone!

I was wondering how many people can't decide on what their Niche is? I have so many things I am passionate about such as Photography, Videography, Music, Art, Gaming, Electronics and etc. I enjoy a lot but I keep hearing I should focus on just one thing if I want to really make a living. I guess im just asking what you all think? Within things I would like to capture (either Photo or Video) are things such as camping, outdoors, food, portraits, skating, music videos, commercial videos, vlogs.

What do you all think?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidmclain
Leading Creator

This is a great question.

There is no doubt that the market favors the niche. I think this is especially true on Instagram. That said, it is possible to cover a broad range of subject matter. I got into photography because it allowed me to explore all kinds of different things, not just one thing. In 2022 I shot a cookbook for National Geographic, was commissioned to shoot a series of massive 50x70 black and white silver gelatin prints of Maine Seascapes, and shot 10 short films and 4 photo essays on Health Equity in America on a year-long project that was underwritten by a Fortune 20 company. Honestly, these projects had almost nothing to do with one another.... and that's the way I like it. Keeps things interesting.

I'm not sure where this leaves you but I would say, initially you would be well served to have a niche but I would encourage you to maintain a broad set of visual interests.

View solution in original post

FatbeardMedia
Key Contributor

My niche is whatever I am getting paid to do, and as of recent that has been Boudoir for some reason. It seems a lot of Boudoir models have been hiring me for web work and photos so that seems to be where my "niche" lies.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davidmclain
Leading Creator

This is a great question.

There is no doubt that the market favors the niche. I think this is especially true on Instagram. That said, it is possible to cover a broad range of subject matter. I got into photography because it allowed me to explore all kinds of different things, not just one thing. In 2022 I shot a cookbook for National Geographic, was commissioned to shoot a series of massive 50x70 black and white silver gelatin prints of Maine Seascapes, and shot 10 short films and 4 photo essays on Health Equity in America on a year-long project that was underwritten by a Fortune 20 company. Honestly, these projects had almost nothing to do with one another.... and that's the way I like it. Keeps things interesting.

I'm not sure where this leaves you but I would say, initially you would be well served to have a niche but I would encourage you to maintain a broad set of visual interests.

Wow thank you so much! This is a huge help not only getting the advice but also the examples of the jobs and how varied they are!

Thanks a ton!

FatbeardMedia
Key Contributor

My niche is whatever I am getting paid to do, and as of recent that has been Boudoir for some reason. It seems a lot of Boudoir models have been hiring me for web work and photos so that seems to be where my "niche" lies.

I 100% get that! In the area I'm in, there are a lot of musicians and I ended up doing more music videos and concert Photography than anything else around here! I definitely enjoy a lot more things however and would want to make this a career but also not close myself off to experiencing and growing in other areas!

But I do feel the same way as you when it comes to the amount of Music Videos I've been doing definitely makes it feel like I'm "the Music Video Guy"