RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Selling Gear and safe marketplace

LensBrew
Go to solution Solved by tonygale,

I've have the 14mm 1.8 GM for sometime. Unfortunately, I never found any use for it in my arsenal, even though I have envisioned the images I could get with it. I shot less than 20 images with it. This is the first time that I personally find myself preferring a zoom lens to a prime. Therefore, I plan to sell it and wait for a future 16-35mm 2.8 GM II (I believe with the current stats it should come out in the first half of 2023).

My question is: What excellent places to sell my lens? Big companies will cut into the price for their profit margin, while ebay and Facebook market are a high risk.

#FE 14mm F1.8 GM  

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with @tonygale - selling gear back to one of the authorized Sony retailers is the path of least resistance. I think it's like selling a car - you can get a little more cash on a private sale, but a lot more hassle.

Also, keep an eye out for trade-in/trade-up promos. They come along from time to time - in addition to the trade in value, the promo offers an extra credit towards purchase of new gear. So if you are thinking about replacing that 14mm with a different lens that might be a promo to watch for.

I agree with @tonygale - selling gear back to one of the authorized Sony retailers is the path of least resistance. I think it's like selling a car - you can get a little more cash on a private sale, but a lot more hassle.

Also, keep an eye out for trade-in/trade-up promos. They come along from time to time - in addition to the trade in value, the promo offers an extra credit towards purchase of new gear. So if you are thinking about replacing that 14mm with a different lens that might be a promo to watch for.

Will do. But I don't recall seeing a promo of a trade event on alphauniverse.com. Did I miss it or are they promoted through the approved retailers only?

And here is the current "Trade In / Trade Up" promo that is running until the end of the year. If you are thinking of upgrading body or lenses, check this out. Runs through the end of the year, all the details and official terms are at https://alphauniverse.com/promos/trade-in-trade-up/

Just checked with few stores... not satisfied with the offers. The best one is offering 40% of the new value, including Sony's bonus. Worst of all, I took less than 10 shots with this lens, it's practically new!

This is why I want a better market place to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the US and I have successfully sold my used gear on Mercari. As a woman, I don't want to be meeting up with strangers, and Mercari provides a safe platform to interact with buyers. I sold my 24-70GM just a few weeks ago. I got about 60% of new retail price, but 2x what KEH offered. They do take their fees, but to me it's worth the protection and ensuring that I get paid.

One note though is that all transactions over $600 will be reported to the IRS and it helps to have the original purchase receipt to offset the income taxes. 

I'm in the US and I have successfully sold my used gear on Mercari. As a woman, I don't want to be meeting up with strangers, and Mercari provides a safe platform to interact with buyers. I sold my 24-70GM just a few weeks ago. I got about 60% of new retail price, but 2x what KEH offered. They do take their fees, but to me it's worth the protection and ensuring that I get paid.

One note though is that all transactions over $600 will be reported to the IRS and it helps to have the original purchase receipt to offset the income taxes. 

Unfortunately, I was in Abu Dhabi when I bought this lens. I don't have a receipt with me.

60% of retail price sounds very good, but I don't have the requirements they need.