RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Sony A7RV autofocus issues with 200-600

CuriousBirder

I just got my A7RV today and have been trying it out with my 200-600 Sony lens. I also tried with my 1.4 and 2x teleconverters. The pictures have a soft focus; the images were not sharp and detail in bird's feathers were lacking. Detail for humans also seemed to be lacking, e.g., fuzzy clothing. The 4k video I took was great quality which makes things more confusing.

I previously dropped the lens when attached to my A7RIV. I had focus issues with the A7RIV and so will be sending in for repairs. I've been using the lens with my A7III and it seems to be working fine, even with the 1.4 and 2x teleconverters are attached. Not sure if damage could cause the lens to work for A7III but not the V.

The firmware on the lens is update to date. The A7RV is correctly detecting subject. I turned off subject tracking and tried different modes but no luck. Turned off image stabilization on lens, etc.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is firmware upgrade for some of the lenses when used on the a7rv, including your 200-600

Did that shortly after the update. I tested a new 200-600 and mine actually did better, so who knows. The RV for whatever reason just isn't getting the results I used to get with my RIV. It's strange as the autofocus is tracking properly and the display is sharp, but actual picture is not.

I have both the a7r5 and that lens on and haven't had any issues with it. So I'd definitely contact Sony to see if something is wrong. Good luck. 

Do you have an A7R4 that you've tried with your lens? I'm having ok results with stationary on A7R5, but motion is not that great, especially when compared to my A73. 

I got my A7RV yesterday and will be shooting with that lens on Sunday. Love that lens and haven't had issues. Calling Sony Alpha Pro support is a good call.

I actually was able to talk with a rep in person today and tried another 200-600 lens. Same issue. My A7R4 just seemed to have better success rate before I dropped it then my A7R5. Got a 100-400 GM lens, so interested to see if I get any different results with my A7R5 over that of my 200-600 lens.

Call the Sony Alpha Pro line and speak to Glenn, he is the know-all be-all of Sony's products. If he can't get it fixed for you than it's a dud. 

I can't figure out the issue. Will be sending lens and camera in. Got a 100-400 GM to play to try out my A7R5 with. Hoping the results are alot better.

Do you have an A7R4 that you've tried with your lens? I'm having ok results with stationary on A7R5, but motion is not that great, especially when compared to my A73. 

I don't have one anymore. I used to and I was often disappointed with the focus and my results. Once the a1 came out it instantly got better and I sold the r4. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased two A7RV bodies and one of them seems to be defective. Images are soft and the sensor never settles upon firing the shutter. It seems to bounce around and never really stop moving. Luckily the store I purchased from is swapping it out for another one. Are you seeing similar issues with the sensor?

I just purchased two A7RV bodies and one of them seems to be defective. Images are soft and the sensor never settles upon firing the shutter. It seems to bounce around and never really stop moving. Luckily the store I purchased from is swapping it out for another one. Are you seeing similar issues with the sensor?

What lenses are you using with the A7RV? Does it keep blurring out and focusing in one objects? I don't think I have experienced that with my 7Rv.Here is a hummingbird shot I took with my 7RV and 100-400 GM. Only issue I have had is that teleconverters are worse then just cropping.

1162iBA956EE56CA7120E.thumb.jpg.fd9a1739ef5ccf5a40b404361e6e0762.jpg

I will assume the unit you have might have an issue. But there are few things that you've mentioned about your set up that you should be aware of. Adding a teleconverter will increase your focal length, but at the same time will close up your aperture and soften your image. After all, you are adding more glass. This is "natural" for all teleconverters for all brands.

Now as for the damage, there is a great chance it caused the issue. Even if it work for another body, this is considered circumstantial and should not be a reason to eliminate the lens as the cause. Not to mention, the new bodies are more demanding than the older ones, especially with the new AF AI. You are probably getting compounded issues there.

My suggestion is as you wait for Pro support, ask a friend or a colleague to lend you the same lens, if possible, as test it out. That's one way to get better information on your body. Just make sure they didn't drop theirs too.

• 2 weeks later...

I will assume the unit you have might have an issue. But there are few things that you've mentioned about your set up that you should be aware of. Adding a teleconverter will increase your focal length, but at the same time will close up your aperture and soften your image. After all, you are adding more glass. This is "natural" for all teleconverters for all brands.

Now as for the damage, there is a great chance it caused the issue. Even if it work for another body, this is considered circumstantial and should not be a reason to eliminate the lens as the cause. Not to mention, the new bodies are more demanding than the older ones, especially with the new AF AI. You are probably getting compounded issues there.

My suggestion is as you wait for Pro support, ask a friend or a colleague to lend you the same lens, if possible, as test it out. That's one way to get better information on your body. Just make sure they didn't drop theirs too.

Thank you for your input. I tried out my friend's lens and teleconverter prior to sending in both my 7R4 and lens in for repair.