See Official Sweepstakes Rules here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new 24-70GMII & 70-200GMII are challenging my use of primes. Am I the only one?

pm-r
Rising Star

So, I've always been more of a prime lens shooter, even though you have to change them on and off the bodies.  I've liked the simplicity of them and their singular purpose driven agenda.  But lately, I've been a little seduced by the new 24-70GMII.  Even though it's only f/2.8 and cannot offer the bokeh of my prime lenses, it seems to rival their sharpness at every focal length in the range.  The 135GM and 50GM are my primary portrait lenses still, but when you are carrying your gear on location, the zooms always offer the "perfect" focal length for every shot.

The main thing is how sharp the II zooms are though.  I really enjoy grazing through Photo-Mechanic with a 4K monitor.  The next best thing to shooting Sony's prime and zoom lenses is looking at the results on a 30" monitor.  Am I alone in this?  Let me know your thoughts...   pm-r 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IraBlock
Prime Creator

The new 24-70 GMii and 70-200 GMii are amazing lenses. I was blown away by their sharpness. I usually work in pretty dirty conditions, so as much as i love primes the zooms are part of my life.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

IraBlock
Prime Creator

The new 24-70 GMii and 70-200 GMii are amazing lenses. I was blown away by their sharpness. I usually work in pretty dirty conditions, so as much as i love primes the zooms are part of my life.

monicasigmon
Prime Creator

I completely understand your dilemma! Those two lenses are incredible and it's so nice to have the versatility of the zoom!

tonygale
Prime Creator

They are absolutely incredible lenses!

CarolineJensen
Prime Creator

Oh man! I haven't used either of those lenses yet. I'm going to pretend I didn't read this, haha! No, seriously, I need to try them!