RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Introduction: Bob Krist, travel photographer/filmmaker, Sony Artisan of Imagery

BobKrist

Hi Everyone: I'm a photographer and filmmaker who spent the lion's share of my career ( I went pro in 1976--can you say "dinosaur?"!) shooting assignments for National Geographic and National Geographic Traveler, Travel & Leisure, Travel/Holiday, and Islands magazines. 

In the last 10 years or so, I got interested in documenting people, places, and cultures in video, and currently have a travel documentary show on Wondrium.com called Off the Beaten Path, as well producing films for a number of other outlets.

Since I work as a one-man band, I love to travel light, and I use almost all Sony entry level or prosumer gear to do my work, because it is small, light, and gives me great results. 

My favorite tools are the Sony RX10 IV, the A7c, and just lately, the tiny, amazing ZV-e10. So I can be a good resource for you if you use those cameras or any of the RX100 series (I've had them all!). Great to be here!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very cool. I have viewed your work on the Artisan page. I love that you are using the A7C. I have just begun shooting with this. Still learning. I have the camera and A6000, A6500. My first Sony camera was a "hybrid" 7x zoom. It was stolen, and I cannot remember the model. Also have the ZV-1. I wanted to purchase the ZV-E10, but there seemed to be a national shortage earlier this year so I settled with the ZV-1. I have been vlogging with it for a bit now.

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to share with you some thanks for a “recommendation” you made.  I got your National Geographic “Fundamentals of Travel Photography” course on The Great Courses and watched every episode with great interest.  I’ve been into photography since high school in the late 70s early 80s. (Yep, that pretty much makes me a dinosaur too).  I was a Minolta XD-11 shooter back then and followed their lens-mount as it went from manual-focus to auto-focus then migrated to Konica-Minolta and finally wound-up as Sony’s A-mount.  I’m now an avid FE user with both the A1 and A7R-IV. The recommendation I want to thank you for is the RX-10 IV.  Since the RX-10 was first introduced, I always thought it might be a useful addition to my setup.  However, after seeing what you had to say about the RX-10 IV, I took the plunge and I couldn’t be happier.  While the quality of the A7R IV and the A1 cannot be questioned, the extreme portability of the RX-10 IV, makes it a constant companion.  I’m an international airline pilot by trade so I’m always on the road.  The RX-10 IV is always in my bag protected by a neoprene cover.  The fact that I don’t need to haul around my “big”cameras and a selection of lenses in yet another bag is a game changer for me.  Yes…there are some compromises, but not many.  I’m seriously ALWAYS pleasantly surprised by the image quality I’m able to squeeze out of this little beast.  

Thanks again for opening my eyes to this little gem I would have otherwise overlooked.

Cheers!

Ian DePledge

This is very cool. I have viewed your work on the Artisan page. I love that you are using the A7C. I have just begun shooting with this. Still learning. I have the camera and A6000, A6500. My first Sony camera was a "hybrid" 7x zoom. It was stolen, and I cannot remember the model. Also have the ZV-1. I wanted to purchase the ZV-E10, but there seemed to be a national shortage earlier this year so I settled with the ZV-1. I have been vlogging with it for a bit now.

Hi Brian: Yes, I'm a great believer in the smaller Sony cameras...the quality is great, and the price and weight are more manageable. Sounds like a good kit you've got going there. 

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to share with you some thanks for a “recommendation” you made.  I got your National Geographic “Fundamentals of Travel Photography” course on The Great Courses and watched every episode with great interest.  I’ve been into photography since high school in the late 70s early 80s. (Yep, that pretty much makes me a dinosaur too).  I was a Minolta XD-11 shooter back then and followed their lens-mount as it went from manual-focus to auto-focus then migrated to Konica-Minolta and finally wound-up as Sony’s A-mount.  I’m now an avid FE user with both the A1 and A7R-IV. The recommendation I want to thank you for is the RX-10 IV.  Since the RX-10 was first introduced, I always thought it might be a useful addition to my setup.  However, after seeing what you had to say about the RX-10 IV, I took the plunge and I couldn’t be happier.  While the quality of the A7R IV and the A1 cannot be questioned, the extreme portability of the RX-10 IV, makes it a constant companion.  I’m an international airline pilot by trade so I’m always on the road.  The RX-10 IV is always in my bag protected by a neoprene cover.  The fact that I don’t need to haul around my “big”cameras and a selection of lenses in yet another bag is a game changer for me.  Yes…there are some compromises, but not many.  I’m seriously ALWAYS pleasantly surprised by the image quality I’m able to squeeze out of this little beast.  
Thanks again for opening my eyes to this little gem I would have otherwise overlooked.

Cheers!

Ian DePledge

Ian: My pleasure and thanks for the kind words. I find the RX10 IV to be a camera that punches way above its weight class. And, as the old saying goes, "the best camera is the one you have with you." I always put it this way to students in my travel photo workshops years ago, "which lens is better, the big f/1.4 prime that you love but always leave in the hotel room, or that little kit zoom that you take everywhere?"  Thanks for checking in here!

• 2 weeks later...