RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Am I the only one that doesn't shoot on full silent mode?

MattK

I'm curious to know if I'm the only one that doesn't shoot on full silent mode (even though you can). The other week I was having a discussion with another photographer and they couldn't understand why I wasn't shooting silent. Many of the newer cameras allow you to turn off audio signals completely. Not just the Auto Focus beeps, but also have silent shutter options. 

Now, I 100% get that silent shooting is necessary for some situations. It has revolutionized golf photography, for example, because now you can shoot during a backswing. 

However, for me and my bird photography, I find that I like the sound of the electronic shutter. If anything, it helps not fill up my cards as fast. When I have silent shutter on, I feel like I burn through my cards at twice the speed because I need the audio sound to let me know how much I'm shooting. 

Anyone else like this? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the "like to hear the sound" school. And it's not just the reassuring click. I've had some times where in silent mode I don't realize something is pressing on the shutter button and I rip off a bunch of shots of my leg and the ground (mostly when I've got the camera on a BlackRapid sling).

The second reason is that when shooting in high-speed burst, I can get a sense of when the frame buffer is starting to fill up because the 'clicks' will slow down. That's my cue to let up for a second or two, and maybe move my eyes attention to the buffer indicator in the viewfinder.

Third, it's just cool to hear that shutter sound cranking along at 20fps 🙂