RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Best Practices for Photography Workflow

TrekRover
Go to solution Solved by Razak,

I feel like my current workflow is inefficient, chaotic, and messy. Do you all have any best practices that you use for your workflow?

Currently my workflow consists of:

1. Take pictures with camera
  2. Transfer pictures onto multiple external SSDs (had to start using masking tape to label them)
  3. Reformat memory cards on camera
  4. Either keep pictures on external SSD OR transfer to Desktop computer OR Laptop computer
  5. Import and process photos in Lightroom
  6. Do my post-process and adjustments to photos
  7. Export photos as JPEG
  8. Import photos into Topaz DeNoise or Topaz Sharpen
  9. Save as final JPEG for online distribution

I think my problem is that my Lightroom catalogs are saved all over the place whether its on my Desktop or Laptop. There probably is a better way to consolidate all the catalogs in the cloud so that either my Desktop or Laptop can use it?

Do you think I should automatically run all my photos through Topaz DeNoise/Sharpen before even importing into Lightroom for processing?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

This is what I do differently, compared to yours:*

1. Take pictures with camera. *Same, but I format my card first.
  2. Transfer pictures onto multiple external SSDs (had to start using masking tape to label them). *Tracking multiple SSDs creates confusion by itself. Try to get something like a large RAID drive where you can store everything and use the SSD to load specific jobs for on the go editing.
  3. Reformat memory cards on camera. *I used to do wedding photography, and I learned to never format my cards till I'm on the next job, temporary backup, lol.
  4. Either keep pictures on external SSD OR transfer to Desktop computer OR Laptop computer. *I never store photos on my desktop or laptop, I prefer external drives. Lack of storage space on a computer can slow everything down, or even prevent you from working.
  5. Import and process photos in Lightroom. *Same
  6. Do my post-process and adjustments to photos. *Same, but I can also send to Topaz and back.
  7. Export photos as JPEG. *Same
  8. Import photos into Topaz DeNoise or Topaz Sharpen. *Topaz is installed as a plugin in my lightroom, so I use it there, rather than on JPEGS, it's much better.
  9. Save as final JPEG for online distribution. *Not needed.

I think my problem is that my Lightroom catalogs are saved all over the place whether its on my Desktop or Laptop. There probably is a better way to consolidate all the catalogs in the cloud so that either my Desktop or Laptop can use it? *I've never used the cloud for my catalogs, but on my desktop, I have a dedicated SSD for just catalogs.

Do you think I should automatically run all my photos through Topaz DeNoise/Sharpen before even importing into Lightroom for processing? *No, first make your selections in lightroom by rating them, do your basic editing, like white balance, then send to topaz, if even needed.

Hi Trek, sounds like you have a very good workflow. My only recommendation is to move your noise removal as first step in processing.

Thanks Don! I will probably start doing that and install the plugin Razak mentioned in Lightroom. I realized I probably should have done the noise removal in my RAW rather than with the JPEG

This is what I do differently, compared to yours:*

1. Take pictures with camera. *Same, but I format my card first.
  2. Transfer pictures onto multiple external SSDs (had to start using masking tape to label them). *Tracking multiple SSDs creates confusion by itself. Try to get something like a large RAID drive where you can store everything and use the SSD to load specific jobs for on the go editing.
  3. Reformat memory cards on camera. *I used to do wedding photography, and I learned to never format my cards till I'm on the next job, temporary backup, lol.
  4. Either keep pictures on external SSD OR transfer to Desktop computer OR Laptop computer. *I never store photos on my desktop or laptop, I prefer external drives. Lack of storage space on a computer can slow everything down, or even prevent you from working.
  5. Import and process photos in Lightroom. *Same
  6. Do my post-process and adjustments to photos. *Same, but I can also send to Topaz and back.
  7. Export photos as JPEG. *Same
  8. Import photos into Topaz DeNoise or Topaz Sharpen. *Topaz is installed as a plugin in my lightroom, so I use it there, rather than on JPEGS, it's much better.
  9. Save as final JPEG for online distribution. *Not needed.

Thanks for your insight Razak!! This is really helpful! I've been considering a raid nas setup for a while! I just need to save up for it haha. Going to install the plug-ins! I had no idea they existed! this will help me out alot!

I think my problem is that my Lightroom catalogs are saved all over the place whether its on my Desktop or Laptop. There probably is a better way to consolidate all the catalogs in the cloud so that either my Desktop or Laptop can use it? *I've never used the cloud for my catalogs, but on my desktop, I have a dedicated SSD for just catalogs.

Do you think I should automatically run all my photos through Topaz DeNoise/Sharpen before even importing into Lightroom for processing? *No, first make your selections in lightroom by rating them, do your basic editing, like white balance, then send to topaz, if even needed.

I think I'm going to try hosting the catalogs in One Drive. My theory is that my Lightroom on my Desktop Workstation and my Laptop should theoretically be able to leverage the same catalogs and I can work in the field while on the go with my laptop and pick up where i left off with my desktop without have to worry too much about another SSD.

Going to install the lightroom topax plugin!! this should be a game changer!:D