RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Can creating AI art make you a better photographer?

CarolineJensen

I have to admit...I fell down the rabbit hole of AI art generation. I was sick for a while and spent that time playing with Midjourney. At first, I was horrified at the potential. It literally could do things that would take a me a year to plan for, photography-wise. Then again, it could do things I could never do photography-wise. 

How does AI art fit into photography...or does it fit at all? Does it need to? 

Here is what I learned in the last few months. 

1. AI art helped me to better define my voice. Each time I had to accept or reject a render from the AI program I was able to analyze WHY I did or didn't like the image. My understanding of color palettes that are 'me' started to jump out more and more over time. I instinctively rejected bold colors and favored muted tones. Simple and peaceful compositions spoke to me, but busy and chaotic images did not. Here are a few examples of what I learned that I like. I think this will help me in my photography journey, especially editing. 

549iF4847C97CAE50589.thumb.jpg.08055c93ae7a6b9d1b8d1c83569d6d05.jpg

546i993B37AAADEFC02F.thumb.jpg.492643966bcc879b9223ba8a2d78a1e3.jpg

545i9717AEAE65F94522.thumb.jpg.d25d0d50204cdc07afd0363b9fc9fa27.jpg

551i41DCF375B2C46B41.thumb.jpg.05b0873a0b3c8641a79023e6210f1661.jpg

552iDFF36F7BEC670C01.thumb.jpg.e54e80457b24c81cdfb50e7431d619cc.jpg

2. I was forced to analyze another T in the road. Painting collided with photography in the late 1800s. Film photography collided with digital in the early 2000s. The invention of Photoshop by ILM birthed new ways to manipulate images, which also resulted in discussions on the ethics of editing. How does this AI shift the landscape? Yes, some jobs will become obsolete, while the value of others will be enhanced and appreciated more. AI may never be as empathetic and intuitive as humans, but AI may become a tool that allows a person to produce their vision at scale, something we couldn't do before. What if an artist or photographer could paint or photograph their vision and then use AI to create variations? The possibilities are endless. Vision and voice will always be inherent human traits. I am not afraid of being replaced, but I am keen to know how it will BEST serve people. 

3. Kando opened my eyes to the way created worlds and special effects go hand-in-hand in entertainment. I was particularly fond of the class that explained how locations (real and imagined) could be shot and then transported to a sound stage elsewhere. Even the light could be intricately replicated! This made me wonder how still photography might merge with created worlds too. 

Will we see a merging of technologies? Will photography and AI work together at some point? What are your thoughts? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think making any kind of art, including AI art can make someone a better photographer. Anything that aids in creative thinking can help

AI art does feel a little scary to me at times as well, but people also have faked photography for various purposes since the 1800s. Hopefully there will be tools to help sort out our reality when needed 

I think making any kind of art, including AI art can make someone a better photographer. Anything that aids in creative thinking can help

AI art does feel a little scary to me at times as well, but people also have faked photography for various purposes since the 1800s. Hopefully there will be tools to help sort out our reality when needed 

Yes, it’s the sorting out process that fascinates me! I’m so confused, and yet curious,  how to navigate these uncharted waters. 

It is a creative act no doubt. My concern with these AI models like MidJourney is they scour the web and build and image off of others creations - with no regard to copyrights. I can see the lawsuits coming. Getty Images has ceased to accept AI creations and have taken down all images currently on their site that were AI created. As for making me a better photographer - maybe - haven't thought deeply enough regarding that question.

It is a creative act no doubt. My concern with these AI models like MidJourney is they scour the web and build and image off of others creations - with no regard to copyrights. I can see the lawsuits coming. Getty Images has ceased to accept AI creations and have taken down all images currently on their site that were AI created. As for making me a better photographer - maybe - haven't thought deeply enough regarding that question.

The copyright issues with the current AI tools is a concern for sure!

You got me so curious about this at Kando! I started playing with it and the first image I created I absolutely LOVED....I thought 'I want to frame this and hang it on my wall!'. Then I felt weird and felt like I had cheated and that it wasn't really mine to take credit for. Lots of mixed feelings and that was only my FIRST ONE!!! 🤣 I'm excited to play more and see what the possibilities are...I just have to figure out how to feel comfortable saying 'I created that'.

That is one thing that greatly concerns me! I tend to draw from artist influences prior to 1900, so I generally don't run into art that seems close to modern day images, BUT it is a massively slippery slope anyway. I have seen images where the people look like real famous people--deep fake style. It is crazy to think how this could impact everything visual. 

The copyright issues with the current AI tools is a concern for sure!

Yep! I am wondering how far removed an image needs to be to not be too close. So many famous photographers are copied--right down to the setting, gear, lighting and clothing. Where is the line?? It is a huge ethical question for sure. 

You got me so curious about this at Kando! I started playing with it and the first image I created I absolutely LOVED....I thought 'I want to frame this and hang it on my wall!'. Then I felt weird and felt like I had cheated and that it wasn't really mine to take credit for. Lots of mixed feelings and that was only my FIRST ONE!!! 🤣 I'm excited to play more and see what the possibilities are...I just have to figure out how to feel comfortable saying 'I created that'.

This is such a great point. I thought the same thing until I dug into it more. I took me over a month of countless tries to dial in one image I wanted to make. It took literally dozens of working hours to do it. It was 'work' but a different kind. It is more like becoming a writer than a painter, I feel. The act of learning to communicate with the AI and getting it to 'listen' is an art form in and of itself. 

The part that annoys me though is how it is being used to create things that genuinely feel like a rip off...images that are so close to copyrighted art that is unique to the photographer or painter. I shudder to think how this would be in unethical hands! 

This is such a great point. I thought the same thing until I dug into it more. I took me over a month of countless tries to dial in one image I wanted to make. It took literally dozens of working hours to do it. It was 'work' but a different kind. It is more like becoming a writer than a painter, I feel. The act of learning to communicate with the AI and getting it to 'listen' is an art form in and of itself. 

The part that annoys me though is how it is being used to create things that genuinely feel like a rip off...images that are so close to copyrighted art that is unique to the photographer or painter. I shudder to think how this would be in unethical hands! 

That makes sense! And I know I need to spend more time with it - I'm glad to hear from you that it is worth it and still feels like "your" art.

And you're right - SO much cheesy, kitchy copycat stuff out there...but I guess the same could be said about still photography 🤣

That makes sense! And I know I need to spend more time with it - I'm glad to hear from you that it is worth it and still feels like "your" art.

And you're right - SO much cheesy, kitchy copycat stuff out there...but I guess the same could be said about still photography 🤣

Yep! It takes work to differentiate ourselves no matter the medium. It has been eye opening for sure!