RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Composite Portraits

tonygale

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tony. I've done it quite a bit and I agree. If the camera is locked down it makes it infinitely easier. I often get questions from people that want to composite their photos, but they haven't done any prep work - in other words, it's an afterthought. And if it's an afterthought, then you'll get the results of an afterthought which sometimes are unreliable. The more prep work you do, a composite can almost be perfectly seamless and come together in just minutes vs. hours sitting at the computer trying to fake reality. 

Hey Tony. I've done it quite a bit and I agree. If the camera is locked down it makes it infinitely easier. I often get questions from people that want to composite their photos, but they haven't done any prep work - in other words, it's an afterthought. And if it's an afterthought, then you'll get the results of an afterthought which sometimes are unreliable. The more prep work you do, a composite can almost be perfectly seamless and come together in just minutes vs. hours sitting at the computer trying to fake reality. 

I absolutely agree, a little planning goes a long way!

We have had to do it for a few of our larger family groups. Sometimes all on the same day) our background wasn’t wide enough), sometimes on a different day (someone from out of town couldn’t make it). I agree, locking down the camera placement and angle is key. Another thing I see overlooked often is the lighting on the face. It’s so important to make sure the lighting is consistent across all of the images you’re using!

We have had to do it for a few of our larger family groups. Sometimes all on the same day) our background wasn’t wide enough), sometimes on a different day (someone from out of town couldn’t make it). I agree, locking down the camera placement and angle is key. Another thing I see overlooked often is the lighting on the face. It’s so important to make sure the lighting is consistent across all of the images you’re using!

Consistent lighting is key!

Composites as an afterthought is bad. 😂 I’ve had people request it after the fact and I have to tell them I am not a magician.