RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Favorite print aspect ratio?

CarolineJensen

I tend to adore squares. I think it stems from my love of shooting square with film, way back when. I may be an odd duck, but what aspect ratio is your favorite for printing? Why? 

Does anyone else panic when you have to make a gallery wall with different aspect ratios?  Any tips? My walls are covered in squares, haha! 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so this is so true for me as well.  I love squares.  I shot with Hasselblads from 1991 till probably 1995 when I began moving towards the 6x8 (2:3) aspect ration that Fuji then offered.  But I miss shooting squares.  One of the greatest things about shooting the a1, a7RIV, and a7IV is because the files are so massive, you can choose to shoot squares in camera.  Virtually every portrait assignment I shoot, I move to square, then pull out the back screen so it's flat facing up, and I shoot from the lower angle around my waist.  You still get a massive file even though you are cropping so much out and because I absolutely trust the Eye AF do do its thing, I can have the same experience I used to when shooting the blads.  Last, for people that actually do layout, squares are the most versatile way to work--they always fit and type flows around them so easily that clients love them for editorial assignments.

OK so this is so true for me as well.  I love squares.  I shot with Hasselblads from 1991 till probably 1995 when I began moving towards the 6x8 (2:3) aspect ration that Fuji then offered.  But I miss shooting squares.  One of the greatest things about shooting the a1, a7RIV, and a7IV is because the files are so massive, you can choose to shoot squares in camera.  Virtually every portrait assignment I shoot, I move to square, then pull out the back screen so it's flat facing up, and I shoot from the lower angle around my waist.  You still get a massive file even though you are cropping so much out and because I absolutely trust the Eye AF do do its thing, I can have the same experience I used to when shooting the blads.  Last, for people that actually do layout, squares are the most versatile way to work--they always fit and type flows around them so easily that clients love them for editorial assignments.

Yep, totally! I use the waist-level-viewfinder method so often too! 

Love this idea of shooting from the waist - - - I never do that!