RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Favorite Raw Editor?

MattK

With more and more software editing apps out there I was wondering what everyone's raw editor of choice is? For me, for $9.99 a month and the great updates Adobe has been doing over the last couple of years I use Lightroom. Plus, while I may not use Photoshop a lot, I do use it on just about every photo (even if it's only 60 seconds to remove a distraction, branch, or spot from my wildlife photos). With that, it makes sense to stay in the Adobe family because I get both. Curious to see what everyone else uses? 

Hi Matt.  I switched to CaptureOne about 5 years ago from LR. The main reason initially was for Sony the CP1 Color Engine just did a better job in my opinion. The product has expended tremendously over the past years and the speed and quality I get from it is excellent.   CP1 does have an annual payment to get support and all the updates.  When I need to do edits that I cannot do in CP1, I use Affinity Photo.  It is excellent and you pay once for life. The other editing tools I use when needed are the Topaz tools. I think that to get the detailed editing you want, you need to find the combination of tools that can do all the pieces well and then develop a workflow with them.  

My workflow has always been: Photo Mechanic > Lightroom > Photoshop > TK8 Panel and various AI processing plugins. I hate that LR locks you into their ecosystem. In other words, if I add or delete outside of LR I am always having to go back into LR to relink image or folder. Other than that it is great and I love the new masking they have added. 

I switched to Capture One a couple of years ago. I am able to get to the color I want a bit faster than in lightroom. The other plus for me is that I like the cataloging system. I can have multiple catalogues open and move photos around very easily. LIghtroom does not have this ability. 

Hi Matt.  I switched to CaptureOne about 5 years ago from LR. The main reason initially was for Sony the CP1 Color Engine just did a better job in my opinion. The product has expended tremendously over the past years and the speed and quality I get from it is excellent.   CP1 does have an annual payment to get support and all the updates.  When I need to do edits that I cannot do in CP1, I use Affinity Photo.  It is excellent and you pay once for life. The other editing tools I use when needed are the Topaz tools. I think that to get the detailed editing you want, you need to find the combination of tools that can do all the pieces well and then develop a workflow with them.  

I agree. I recently started using Capture One and am kind of blown away at how good it is. Definitely worth exploring as an alternative to Lightroom.

I have heard the colors are much truer with Capture One. I have it and should play with it more! 

I have heard the colors are much truer with Capture One. I have it and should play with it more! 

I've always heard people say the same thing about colors in C1. For me, color is so relative and subjective that I can't see a difference. I mean, I've never felt like I can't get the color to look the way I want in LR and honestly color isn't even something I edit for. Nearly everything I do is more tonal based. But everyone sees a photo different so I totally get it. It's just a feature that never resonated with me because I've never looked at my photos and thought "The color is so off" and I've never looked at a C1 photo and thought "Wow... those colors are amazing!". But I think most C1 users would definitely cite color as the defining reason they use it.