RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Give yourself a project

Jayceg

When I was starting out in photography I would go brave the cold of an icy winter to get a fun photo in the snow, I would read blogs about photography daily and go to strobist meetups to practice my off-camera lighting. I would take my camera everywhere. And because of that I believe I grew quite quickly in the art. There are some projects I got in school that I pushed the limits and came back with images I was super proud of… Now full circle, I am a high school photography teacher, and I’d like to think I provide some creative and challenging projects. But my work has paused. I only seem to take photos when I’m already going on vacation… or when I’m getting paid by a client. It’s limited my portfolio to landscapes and older pictures. To cut to the chase: I need to challenge myself to be creative the same way I ask my students to. I’d like this post to be a place where we can write down our creative project goals to inspire others that need a push and to hold us accountable for the things we’d like to accomplish in photography.

I’ll start: I have a interest in light painting (sculpting- where the light is reflected not projected toward the lens) and I would like to make one still life, or large scale drone light painting every month. Go ahead- what is your goal.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this post and commend you for giving yourself and your students a project and the accountability and support to follow through with it. Please post your light paintings here as you create them, I would love to see what you come up with. Also, I would like you to know that the only reason I became a photographer was because of my High School photography teacher. I will never be able to thank her enough. Your job has the ability to enrich and change the lives of your students. Keep up the great work!

• 1 month later...

Great to see you on here, welcome! I keep meaning to start a project photographing and filming people in NYC who make things for sale or distribution by hand

Hi Tony! The hardest step is the first one… and I feel because it’s winter it’s even more difficult. That sounds like a fulfilling project that will surely be interesting to watch. I’m looking forward to it.

My goals are moreso networking, I need to push myself to meet strangers and expand my networking. My photography goal is to take one timelapse a week.

That is a good and reasonable goal. 52 of anything is a real body of work- So looking at it that way, I really like the idea of weekly goals. Daily is so difficult to manage with variables that can fluctuate unknowingly. Someday I’d love to have the stable routine to do a 365 project. 

Love this so much! I have always wanted to learn light painting from Harold Ross.

Harold is the g.o.a.t. If I can make something that even resembles his work, I’ll be happy. I went to one of his workshops and it was a great experience.