RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Great quote on photography/creativity

davidmclain

This quote from the photographer Ryan McGinley just nails it for me. I've had it taped on my wall for some time now and read and act on it regularly. 

"Find something to be obsessed with, and then obsess over it. Don’t compete; find what’s uniquely yours. Take your experience of life and connect that with your knowledge of photographic history. Mix it all together, and create an artistic world that we can enter into.”

"Be busy. Seek and find a way to do what it is you want to do. Identify what that thing is and do it. Don’t stand around too long having conversations about it. Do it. Refine it. Do it more. Try it a different way. Keep at it until you break through to the next level. Don’t talk or think yourself out of doing it. Put one foot in front of the other and let it happen organically."

"Say yes to almost everything and try new things. Don’t be afraid to fail, and don’t be afraid to work hard. Do your pictures—don’t try and do somebody else’s pictures." 

-Ryan McGinley 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it David! The second one especially resonates with me:

"Be busy. Seek and find a way to do what it is you want to do. Identify what that thing is and do it. Don’t stand around too long having conversations about it. Do it. Refine it. Do it more. Try it a different way. Keep at it until you break through to the next level. Don’t talk or think yourself out of doing it. Put one foot in front of the other and let it happen organically."

I think we all see in this industry, especially when teaching, that people talk more than they do. We've all see the people in forums that probably know SOO MUCH about technology, the camera, and details. But all they do is talk about it. They don't actually do the important thing which is get out there and shoot. 

I like to tell people that take my courses that "perfection leads to procrastination". Get out there and do it... fail... do it again and repeat. You'll get way better much faster than talking and reading about it.