RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

How Do You Keep Your Gear Dry?

DonSmith
Go to solution Solved by kevinmcox,

675iF70A865620FA04B1.thumb.jpg.a58dd2f30b5b80f4e19aa096ff99fac7.jpgI am currently in the middle of Ron Modra and my Scottish Highlands workshop. Sadly we had a participant get Covid and I have been sidelined with a stomach flu bug. Ah - the joys of traveling. What we have been lucky with has been the weather... though here in Scotland, one minute it is dry and the next it is pouring rain. I try to maintain a simple approach to keeping my gear dry. I use a towel, shammy and microfiber clothes. I have tried every cover known to man and all are a pain. I also carry a compact Repel Umbrella - not to keep me dry but my gear, What are your methods? Could be a great discussion here... Here is an image of Sligachan Cascades  on the Isle of Skye prior to a cloudburst.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

That is a great one - I used something similar back in my NFL days Kevin. What about for shorter glass like a 24-70mm GM or a 12-24mm? Any recommendations?

Think Tank has some options for short glass, but honestly in the past I've always just left them uncovered.

I'm a recent Sony convert so I'm hoping my new gear holds up as well to the elements as my old Canon gear did.

I found a very simple rain cover that i bought many years ago online.. It has an opening at each end with a draw string and i always have it in my bag, it is made for the average zoom, not longer glass. The more expensive ones are too complicated. In a pinch i take a shower cap from the hotel and cut a hole in the other end .!!

I've used everything from an umbrella, JC Rain Coat Sleeve Protectors, to 2 gallon zip lock bags depending on the need.  I spend most of my time in the state of New Mexico, much of the year there isn't much of a need until the summer monsoon arrives.

thanks for the input - I'm the same out here in California - we are in a 10 year draught

I found a very simple rain cover that i bought many years ago online.. It has an opening at each end with a draw string and i always have it in my bag, it is made for the average zoom, not longer glass. The more expensive ones are too complicated. In a pinch i take a shower cap from the hotel and cut a hole in the other end .!!

I've used the ol shower caps also Ira - generally it is what I can get my hands on at the time - too much stuff to travel with!