RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

How Important Are Video Skills in Today's Marketplace?

DonSmith

I started in the photography business as a sports photographer and had quite a run. 20 years ago I started leaning more towards working on my landscape photography and now dedicate my career to teaching others through workshops. I am currently in Iceland teaching a couple workshops with fellow Artisan Gary Hart. My question is this to you younger pros: How important is having a solid grounding in video shooting and production in today's marketplace? I would think it would be crucial but I am asking all of you. Looking forward to your answers.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a pro, but I agree with Tony that video is becoming more and more important these days. Video used to be prohibitive because the storage and processing requirements were high.

Several reasons contributing to the importance of video now:

• Hardware data storage is getting cheaper and cheaper. 
  • Cloud Storage/Processing is cheaper and more reliable now.
  • Social media trends they've been leaning towards videos. Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram trying to pivot to videos.
  • If you look at the 30FPS for the Sony a1, that is basically what video frame rates were at not too long ago before HD.
  • Smartphones cameras are technically taking short clips and choosing the best frame for the picture.
  • New video tech easily available now: Drones and gimbals

I keep ignoring the fact it is important. I keep delaying learning video editing and framing. Luckily I have not been asked to shoot video when shooting sports, we got other people to do that.

But I would like to make some videos of what I'm doing on the field and court. I see a decent number of sports photography channels, but not many interested folks other than new sports photographers. Nonetheless, I want to start there, since it sounds simple in my head. Then I can think about strategies after I get the hold of it.

You've been there before Don. Should I stick an insta 360 on my camera to show what's going on and throw in some stills if I get a good shot?

I'm not a pro, but I agree with Tony that video is becoming more and more important these days. Video used to be prohibitive because the storage and processing requirements were high.

Several reasons contributing to the importance of video now:

• Hardware data storage is getting cheaper and cheaper. 
  • Cloud Storage/Processing is cheaper and more reliable now.
  • Social media trends they've been leaning towards videos. Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram trying to pivot to videos.
  • If you look at the 30FPS for the Sony a1, that is basically what video frame rates were at not too long ago before HD.
  • Smartphones cameras are technically taking short clips and choosing the best frame for the picture.
  • New video tech easily available now: Drones and gimbals

All great points TrekRover. But as far as making a living, most want a combination of video and stills. Even newspaper photographers, those who are left, are required to do video!

I keep ignoring the fact it is important. I keep delaying learning video editing and framing. Luckily I have not been asked to shoot video when shooting sports, we got other people to do that.

But I would like to make some videos of what I'm doing on the field and court. I see a decent number of sports photography channels, but not many interested folks other than new sports photographers. Nonetheless, I want to start there, since it sounds simple in my head. Then I can think about strategies after I get the hold of it.

You've been there before Don. Should I stick an insta 360 on my camera to show what's going on and throw in some stills if I get a good shot?

Couldn't hurt. I started out as a sports photographer - shot for Sports Illustrated and was 28 years co-team photographer for the San Jose Sharks. The glory days are sadly over...

For me it would be the 49ers!

Haha, you'll have to deal with Terrell Lloyd. He's a Canon man through and through, but a great guy. You could actually apply to work with them, he trains a lot of photographers every year and keeps the best with the team. Last I checked they were a team of 12 photographers.