RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

How Much Importance is Capturing and Image vs Processing an Image in Landscape Phgotography?

DonSmith

I switched out of sports photography to 100% landscape photography about 5 years ago. With sports I shot mainly JPEGS but with landscape, all RAW. I believe it is a 50%/50% mix in creating a compelling image when it comes to capture/processing a landscape image. What would be your breakdown on this? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man....I have to use raw most of the time now, only because I have to modulate the highlights and shadows and color in everything I do. I wish I could do more in camera, but I like backlit images. 🙂 

I hear you Caroline! Wish landscape was easier but it varies from image to image. Some I just need to do some minor adjustments in LR and others I am out to 20+ layers. I work a lot with masks in PS with the TK8 Panel

I believe that would depend on the scene you shoot. The process would be exactly as you replayed to Caroline. I learned a great deal of post-processing landscapes from The Phlog and also started using the TK8 panel (where was this 10 years ago!). You could have any ratio of capture vs process, it would depend on when you would be satisfied with the result. There are some images that I came back to several times, and each time I go in a different path and take different efforts to reach what I like.

And I agree, sports is simpler. Yet printing a landscape shot is more wholesome.

I believe that would depend on the scene you shoot. The process would be exactly as you replayed to Caroline. I learned a great deal of post-processing landscapes from The Phlog and also started using the TK8 panel (where was this 10 years ago!). You could have any ratio of capture vs process, it would depend on when you would be satisfied with the result. There are some images that I came back to several times, and each time I go in a different path and take different efforts to reach what I like.

And I agree, sports is simpler. Yet printing a landscape shot is more wholesome.

You make good points LensBrew. With my landscapes I am trying to impart a certain feel to the images - I see the completed work in my mind then set out to accomplish it. I just believe, the better your processing skills the better chance you have of completing your vision.

Not necessarily landscape, but it still applies for my wildlife photography.

For me, it’s 60/40. 60% in capturing the image, which includes the exercise I get in the process, hiked 10 miles last weekend, and 40% in post processing. I love editing!

You make good points LensBrew. With my landscapes I am trying to impart a certain feel to the images - I see the completed work in my mind then set out to accomplish it. I just believe, the better your processing skills the better chance you have of completing your vision.

I'm working hard on honing those processing skills. But I envy you and everyone who can see images in their mind. I think too technical and take my photos clinically, I only think that about the quality and composition after I'm done shooting.

Not necessarily landscape, but it still applies for my wildlife photography.

For me, it’s 60/40. 60% in capturing the image, which includes the exercise I get in the process, hiked 10 miles last weekend, and 40% in post processing. I love editing!

Great answer Razak - exercise is a by-product of landscape photography. I love editing also. I think for me, it is the overall creative process (shooting and editing) that gets me going 🙂

For me it's maybe 75/25 capture vs post processing. If course there are always exceptions, but typically if it requires a lot of post, I just don't do it. I'd rather go make more pictures 

I hear you Tony. I think this is why the current crop of AI software programs are so popular.