RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

If photography is art, why is there so much hate?

DJYoshi
Go to solution Solved by alpha-stormy,

Though I'm not new to taking pictures, I'm new in my journey to becoming a photographer.  Over the last few months, I've joined reddit groups, searched the internet for tips and techniques to make my workflow more efficient.  I've even had the opportunity to build relationships with some of the most prominent photographers... The prominent folks tell me: just keep shooting.  Don't be worried about what others say if the photo and scene speak to you (as long as the camera settings are in line with the shot).

Then there's the "internet professionals" who do nothing but criticize your work, edits and even your eye.  They make it almost impossible to discern who has credible knowledge for you to succeed as opposed to the hate.

I've even had someone tell me: "well you're proof that spending 10k on gear doesn't mean that you're good enough to use that gear."

So if photography is supposed to be an art, something that speaks to you as the artist, why is there so much hatred and dislike to new photographers?

How did you start to determine which shots you took were "worthy" of the internet?

As someone whose primary focus in life is music and production, trust me when I say that the skin is thick...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

In every niche, there are people who are quick to judge and be overcritical. Try to avoid letting the negativity get to you and focus on finding the community for you.  This forum is great for sharing your work and asking for advice without the "internet professional" tearing you down. We have the Sony Artisan of Imagery and members of the Alpha Imaging Collective that can give advice and guidance along we other creators who are in your shoes. From there, you'll be able to decide what to share elsewhere. 

Keep creating your art, and don't let negativity stop you from learning and growing.

This is such a great question. In my experience, the advice you have received from some of your prominent photographer friends is totally on point. Look at the greats - they didn't worry about what other artist were saying about them. They forged their own paths. Frankly, I stopped worrying about the "internet experts" a long time ago. What qualifications do they have? Why should I give any weight to their opinion? I truly think that the haters out there are behaving the only way they know how when they feel threatened or envious. They feel like lifting up someone else will be detrimental to their own success. But, there's plenty to go around! Surround yourself with people who are willing to be honest with you, celebrate your success with you, and support you when you fail. Good luck!

In every niche, there are people who are quick to judge and be overcritical. Try to avoid letting the negativity get to you and focus on finding the community for you.  This forum is great for sharing your work and asking for advice without the "internet professional" tearing you down. We have the Sony Artisan of Imagery and members of the Alpha Imaging Collective that can give advice and guidance along we other creators who are in your shoes. From there, you'll be able to decide what to share elsewhere. 

Keep creating your art, and don't let negativity stop you from learning and growing.

Thank you so much.  The Artisan and Imaging collective members who can critique instead of poke fun at is going to be a huge help!

This is such a great question. In my experience, the advice you have received from some of your prominent photographer friends is totally on point. Look at the greats - they didn't worry about what other artist were saying about them. They forged their own paths. Frankly, I stopped worrying about the "internet experts" a long time ago. What qualifications do they have? Why should I give any weight to their opinion? I truly think that the haters out there are behaving the only way they know how when they feel threatened or envious. They feel like lifting up someone else will be detrimental to their own success. But, there's plenty to go around! Surround yourself with people who are willing to be honest with you, celebrate your success with you, and support you when you fail. Good luck!

"What qualifications do they have" is so true.

Like everything in psychology, giving space to those who tear down instead of help build you up is a hard thing to work on

"What qualifications do they have" is so true.

Like everything in psychology, giving space to those who tear down instead of help build you up is a hard thing to work on

You're right. It's definitely hard. Ultimately I have moved away from online groups that have that kind of energy. It just doesn't matter to me or my work. I'd rather hang out and share in a group like this where people are supportive and happy to help!

I totally understand where you are coming from. Here's a way to think about it: "The internet" is not a client. It will never hire you. Redirect your energy away from the internet and into photography and building relationships with clients. 

I'm busy as a photographer because I create value for clients. I really care about what my clients think about me as a person and as a photographer. I really, really care about what my mentors and professional peers think about me as a person and as a photographer. 

Focus your energy on shooting images that are so good, clients in the music industry can't ignore them. Spend your energy developing relationships with people in the music industry who are in a position to hire you. Find a mentor who you admire and want to be like and take their advice. 

If you do this, your images will be better, your career has its best shot, and you'll be happier as a person. 

I can't find the person that said this, but they are on point: "you are your own worst critic".

The appealing to the collective is how we have been judging ourselves, not to the standard of the work. We've all experienced this as teenagers and it got worst in high school and college. And in this era, high school is all over the internet, and judgements are given like the peppermint candy gramma forces you to take.

I agree with everyone here. I broke out of the chain of appeasing to others, and now I set my own standard based on my own artistic vision. I basically don't care what others think or say (not only in photography). 

The best advice is to do what you did, befriend the prominent photographers and learn from them. I work around few photographers that have already been seniors before I was born. Those I will listen to and ask them to critique my work, because I've seen the amazing work they do and the ethical standards they hold themselves to.

Learn from the best, work with the best, hold yourself to higher standard of professionalism and you will be the next mentor to a new photographer.

First off, Reddit is full of people like that. Heck the internet is full of them and it doesn’t have anything to do with photography. Every single industry has it. I’m part of golf groups and I’m amazed at some of the things people say to others. Chances are that person who wrote that mean comment to you is most likely not a good photographer either. Almost without question when I see a mean comment, I look at a portfolio and realize why they’re mean - they’re just not good and angry about it. Like you said, the internet professionals which translates to “not a professional”. 

Next, I’ll throw a very different opinion out there about topic title “if photography is an art why…”. I personally don’t see photography as an art - I see it as a craft. One like painting a house, carpentry, etc… And like any craft, some of it is good and some of it is bad. And, again, like any craft tastes differ. Some people like the way one person painted their house and the colors they chose and the trim. And other people do not. But I don’t believe photography is some mythical act, that we can do and not be bad at because we can just say “Well, it speaks to me so it must be good”. Saying there are no bad photos doesn’t really help anyone. There are bad photos and I’d rather see people constructively be told that and hopefully be helped to take better ones. 

Anyway, my best advice would be to try to develop a group of people you trust and that WANT to see you get better - not everyone in those online groups wants you to get better. Develop that group (which can take some time), and reach out to them when you share a photo and ask for a critique. But I would never post a photo to a group of people I don’t know, and ask for advice. Giving a critique is a skill - and 90% of people in those groups don’t possess that skill, so be very picky about who you ask. 

Hope that helps 🙂

Great question. The internet was not even on the horizon when I started DJ. The internet just makes it easier for people to be cruel and hide behind their computer. I say just stay true to yourself and your vision and allow yourself the freedom to make mistakes. Personally, the haters as you call them are those who are insecure about their own work, blow them off - I know - easier said than done. Have a plan and stick with it. There is no substitute for practice, self-critique and then more practice. Study art to learn the seeing part of photography. Anyone can learn camera settings. And lastly - enjoy your journey in the arts - there is no such thing as a finish line.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Here's a way to think about it: "The internet" is not a client. It will never hire you. Redirect your energy away from the internet and into photography and building relationships with clients. 

I'm busy as a photographer because I create value for clients. I really care about what my clients think about me as a person and as a photographer. I really, really care about what my mentors and professional peers think about me as a person and as a photographer. 

Focus your energy on shooting images that are so good, clients in the music industry can't ignore them. Spend your energy developing relationships with people in the music industry who are in a position to hire you. Find a mentor who you admire and want to be like and take their advice. 

If you do this, your images will be better, your career has its best shot, and you'll be happier as a person. 

This is exactly what I spent the past 24 years of my music career doing. Since transitioning away from nightlife and redirecting to corporate, sports and lux events, I've spent more time and effort redeveloping relationships with other good people.

I started a No Work with A**es policy back in 2012.  It was tough at first turning down checks, but 2 years later the bigger contracts came back with better people.

Musically, my contracts and contacts are solid.  I stay relatively busy with headshot photography for my private event and lifestyle clients.... I get to sprinkle in music artists and management clients on the road every now and again.

I couldn't be happier musically, creatively and artistically.

It is very easy to be vocal on the internet and criticize the work of others, and when it comes to art as a creator you set your own standards and esthetics. If the criticism is informative you will know it, if it is just the rantings of someone that wants attention you will see that also. 

This is exactly what I spent the past 24 years of my music career doing. Since transitioning away from nightlife and redirecting to corporate, sports and lux events, I've spent more time and effort redeveloping relationships with other good people.

I started a No Work with A**es policy back in 2012.  It was tough at first turning down checks, but 2 years later the bigger contracts came back with better people.

Musically, my contracts and contacts are solid.  I stay relatively busy with headshot photography for my private event and lifestyle clients.... I get to sprinkle in music artists and management clients on the road every now and again.

I couldn't be happier musically, creatively and artistically.

LOVE IT!