RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Keeping your sensor clean

IraBlock

We all know that horrible feeling when you get home after a long trip and start going through your images, only to find that each one of them has a big dust spot on it. In the field I carry a rubber blower to try to keep the sensor clean, and at times I turn on the camera's cleaning mode which does that crazy shake. That is all I do. Many years ago I bought some sensor cleaning kit at Photo Plus and totally smudged my sensor, I learned my lesson. Since that incident I will not touch the sensor - I send my cameras out to have them professionally cleaned. The great news is that the Sony a1 has solved some of the problem with its protective curtain, which I am very grateful for.

Is there someone out there brave enough to clean your own sensor, and what do you use?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rocket blower and the camera self clean mode is always my first (and second and third) choice. If I am desperate I will use sensor swabs and cleaning solution. But with Sony Pro Support I get a few free cleanings a year, and I would rather they handle it!

I always forget there is a self clean mode! My rocket blower is a must! 

I have learned through a master cleaner how to clean my sensor and his company sells the kit! So I clean my own with no fear. Once you learn the proper way to clean and have the right tools it is not a hard task. I am leaving for Scotland this weekend and have to clean my a1 before I go. The shutter curtain is awesome but if you forget to shut it down in the field (and there is a slight delay) and change lenses dust and dirt will get on your sensor... Blowers are always the first way, then anti-static brushes (arctic butterfly) or spin the brush yourself, then last step is a wet clean. You never touch the actual sensor as there is a protective covering on all sensors.

On a related note to the blower, I learned from the last Sony Kando cleaning technicians not to do something I used to do. I used to hold the camera up with the sensor facing down and blow in to it. I don’t recall why, but they actually said just lay it on the table and use the blower at an angle across it. Does it make a difference? I have no idea, but I thought it was interesting that they told me not to do it the way I always was. 

And while I have tried cleaning the sensor a few times on my own, I never fully trust myself so I try to wait until I have an opportunity to have a cleaning by the pros. 

On a related note to the blower, I learned from the last Sony Kando cleaning technicians not to do something I used to do. I used to hold the camera up with the sensor facing down and blow in to it. I don’t recall why, but they actually said just lay it on the table and use the blower at an angle across it. Does it make a difference? I have no idea, but I thought it was interesting that they told me not to do it the way I always was. 

And while I have tried cleaning the sensor a few times on my own, I never fully trust myself so I try to wait until I have an opportunity to have a cleaning by the pros. 

Interesting, I do it the same way with the sensor facing down thinking that the dust will fall out😁

Blowing and shaking aren't doing it for me. I just ordered a cleaning kit. Am I crazy to try cleaning my sensor?

By the way, I did the cleaning with a swab and it went OK. I may have been a bit too careful since I didn't get everything.

Also, I didn't lock the sensor (oops!) but it is all fine and 90% of the spots are gone.