RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Modeling light only?

monicasigmon

Most of our traditional family portraits are created in the studio with strobes. Last year, though, I started experimenting with just using the modeling light. (I know, I know...there are constant lights out there now...but somehow this feels different to me.)

When I used the modeling light with the #FE 85mm F1.4 GM and dragged the shutter - combined with the dancers' movement, I was able to create images like these:

613i4256F62EC6DFAD91.thumb.jpg.b00a2235fa4dc437c678fe3498d294dc.jpg

614i926E03C3A9E68307.thumb.jpg.d4b8dbd4a7331c83da7ccb7ebe567b50.jpg

612iDE9F4EC678AC97D4.thumb.jpg.69f489bf1de44e5c6aeb2d1a64d7555b.jpg

618i7C714D4153E7EA16.thumb.jpg.e6bcf40376b240c8e719b57263cb23d4.jpg

Of course, we all know the Sony files don’t come in with grain like this, so it was added in LR to get a more film-like feel. 😊

I also used the modeling light to create this, also with the 85mm GM:

615i6EA4BDD5635892C7.jpg.5772f1210ca8212dff965e9e45f4d445.jpg

What are your thoughts? Have you used the modeling light alone? Does it feel different to you than using constant lights?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monica, these are beautifully done! I love the movement. This makes me want to try something new because I wouldn't have thought to use a modeling light in this way.

Thank you! It was definitely something new for me, but I love how they turned out. I added some camera shake on a few to exaggerate the feeling of motion. Also, the one with girl with the fabric around her neck - I used a fan to get movement in the fabric because she was standing still.

It is a great look. Are you working on a tripod at very slow shutter speeds? I imagine it takes a bit of experience to know what shutter speed to shoot at to get a particular blur effect.

Hi Ira, for the black-and-white images I took the camera off the camera stand and deliberately added a bit of shake as I took the image. For the color images, I had the camera on the stand. The color portrait of the single girl I used a fan to get movement in the fabric.

These images are great and this is great advice. I often gravitate to modeling because it feels more organic than the strobe. I shot a project recently with the Profoto B10X and used the modeling light about half the time. 

You're right - there is something about it! Do you find it feels different than shooting with constant lights?

• 2 weeks later...