RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

One lens, One Year

Educopilot

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I switched to mirrorless, I picked up the 20mm FE 1.8 G lens and liked it so much that I just ended up using only that for about a year or so as a challenge to myself as I used to rely heavily on my zoom in the old Alpha bodies. 

That's a great lens. I have borrowed a friend's 20mm, and it's tempting to purchase. 

I think I would agree with you, the #FE 50mm F1.2 GM is a great all around lens, if I only had one it would be in the running for sure. I might also consider the #FE 35mm F1.8 another good focal length and very light

The 35mm is a fantastic choice, and I love it for video and as a general walk-around lens. An excellent pick for sure!

😬 that's a tough question @Educopilot! When it comes to only one prime for the year, I'd have to agree. The #FE 50mm F1.2 GM  is my most used prime, but if I had to choose a zoom, it would be my #FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II. It's such an amazing zoom and i could pretty much shoot all of my photo and video assignments with it all year 👌

The #FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS is on my camera 75% of the time as it is and I'm very comfortable working with that lens in just about any situation. That said, if forced to just use a single lens for a year, I might go with the #FE 24mm F1.4 GM  . I think it would train me to get closer to the subjects and also force me to get creative and literally "see" in that perspective. 

My choice would have the be the Sony 14mm f/1.8 GM. I purchased it for my night work but I find myself using it when I have a close foreground that extends to infinity. Most lenses perform best stopped-down for astro work but I don't hesitate shooting this lens wide open - tack sharp!

😬 that's a tough question @Educopilot! When it comes to only one prime for the year, I'd have to agree. The #FE 50mm F1.2 GM  is my most used prime, but if I had to choose a zoom, it would be my #FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II. It's such an amazing zoom and i could pretty much shoot all of my photo and video assignments with it all year 👌

Two fantastic lenses and I agree the #FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II is great at capturing just about anything.

If it can't be a zoom it would have to be the #FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS. If I could pick a zoom it would probably be the#FE 70-200MM F2.8 GM OSS II

I have the #FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS on my wish list, so it's great to see it mentioned. I may need to pick it up sooner rather than later. What do you shoot with it?

I'm in love with the FE 35mm f/1.4 GM lens. This would be my choice, although I thought of the FE 135mm f/1.8 GM first. I can get close to subjects but it is hard to move away (safely). We'll see if Sony comes out with an update for the 135mm, I might change my mind.

The #FE 135mm F1.8 GM is so good and is hard to beat. I'm curious about what you want in an updated version.