RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Photographing People on the Street

IraBlock

I shoot a lot of people in natural situations when I travel. I know it's proper to ask for permission, however many times this ruins the moment. Instead of asking, I find that using your body language and reading your subjects body language is a quick way to get the 'go ahead' or not. This is also very helpful if there is a language barrier.

What techniques are you using??

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would shoot before asking. If interrupted, they get out of their focus zone and the feeling is lost. But I would do it without getting into their face or disrupt what they're doing. If they are too busy, I take the shot and move on. If not, I take the shot then show it to them. Many would be delighted to see themselves. I think Monica Sigmon had a discussion on her podcast, that images are more to acknowledge the existence of the person since they don't actually "see" themselves. And that's what I believe will get the reaction that I want to see after the view what you got.

For street photography I usually use the 70-200 lens, this way I'm not in their way and can take without getting close to interrupt their day, it's not always easy to not be notice with white 70-200 lens, but people these days more friendly with a camera and I get some good poses from them.

1566i6B1A8B99D44A7751.thumb.jpg.0cfff162c799dd088d48c3984d0e428f.jpg

I would shoot before asking. If interrupted, they get out of their focus zone and the feeling is lost. But I would do it without getting into their face or disrupt what they're doing. If they are too busy, I take the shot and move on. If not, I take the shot then show it to them. Many would be delighted to see themselves. I think Monica Sigmon had a discussion on her podcast, that images are more to acknowledge the existence of the person since they don't actually "see" themselves. And that's what I believe will get the reaction that I want to see after the view what you got.

That makes total sense, I too will show the photo to the subject and that helps a lot

• Like 1