RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Pro or Hobbyist? Perhaps, both? Share your story here!

CarolineJensen

I know the line between pro/hobbyist can sometimes become a little blurred as the landscape of photography shifts under the weight of our ever-changing world. I know Covid forced many to pivot, me included! I have fluctuated between regularly selling images for stock to teaching and speaking about photography, which is a bit of a peripheral endevor.

Do you run a business making images? If so, what do you do? Do you also shoot for fun? 

Are you a happy hobbyist? What do you love to shoot? Have you ever thought of making it a business? 

Share your story below! 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Caroline, i‘m a happy Hobbyist. I hadn‘t heard this Word before but is fits well. I loved Photography ever since my father gave me my first camera for my 15 birthday. However, i could not find a focal point, which i particulary like to photograph. I often read that if you warnt to be successful with your photos, you should focus  on one topic. But i can find beauty in so many places and situations. And if i have my Camera with me, it clicks.

Hello Caroline, i‘m a happy Hobbyist. I hadn‘t heard this Word before but is fits well. I loved Photography ever since my father gave me my first camera for my 15 birthday. However, i could not find a focal point, which i particulary like to photograph. I often read that if you warnt to be successful with your photos, you should focus  on one topic. But i can find beauty in so many places and situations. And if i have my Camera with me, it clicks.

you do what you feel best doing in any art form. If you are doing photography as a business you normally will specialize, but as a hobby you don't have those restrictions so you are wide open to make any choices as they come along.

I am an eclectic shooter too! I totally understand having a passion for everything! 

you do what you feel best doing in any art form. If you are doing photography as a business you normally will specialize, but as a hobby you don't have those restrictions so you are wide open to make any choices as they come along.

Yes! I often advise people to have a concrete business lane, but never shut off the creative flow by honoring the other areas with fun shooting. 

I'm a hobbyist that enjoys many genres including but not limited to infrared, close-up/macro, and live theater events. I'm one of the lucky ones that is allowed to be in the audience taking photos of the whole show. The theater is for a non-profit organization. I used to do this because many of my children were in the show but now people want me to photograph all the performers, especially during the action/dancing scenes.

Experiencing the work it takes to get the shots I do for events is enough to convince me that I have no desire to commit this enjoyable practice to a business. Plus, I like keeping my personal item insurance on all my Sony gear. 😊

I'm a hobbyist that enjoys many genres including but not limited to infrared, close-up/macro, and live theater events. I'm one of the lucky ones that is allowed to be in the audience taking photos of the whole show. The theater is for a non-profit organization. I used to do this because many of my children were in the show but now people want me to photograph all the performers, especially during the action/dancing scenes.

Experiencing the work it takes to get the shots I do for events is enough to convince me that I have no desire to commit this enjoyable practice to a business. Plus, I like keeping my personal item insurance on all my Sony gear. 😊

That sounds like an amazing job! I have such a love for the theater.