RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Protect Plus

DrewArmstrong

Hello everyone. 

So... I am having a hard time deciding... Sony is offering me Sony Protect Plus for $340 for 3 years for my new A7r5. And I am right on the edge of buying it but here is my dilemma. I have the Airpeak S1 and paid $3000 for protect plus on that drone. It ALSO covers the payload. Which includes the camera. I have 2 years left on that plan now. AND I have all my gear covered with a Marine business policy for equipment. This past fall I dropped my A1 on its lid and thank goodness I had ProSupport because they covered the replacement camera for about 6 weeks. I did NOT file any claim and the fix was $1100. I just know what happens if you make claims on a Marine policy and am afraid to do so unless it is a BIG claim. Thus I am conflicted about getting a policy that covers accidental damage from Sony direct. It would have saved me on my A1. But, this is the first body I have actually damaged... ever. Not sure it makes sense or not when I already have a couple of policies that I could lean on if needed. The Marine policy is about double the 3 years cost... per year but it covers $130k worth of gear, which is basically what it is for. Car being broken into or the stuff being stolen from home or the business. What all do you all thing? I wish there was a ProSupport discount code at least. It might help me make the decision... and there should be a discount as some of the coverage is redundant. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Drew

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you have a lot of coverage already, I would think of it as how reluctant are you to go to insurance if there is a problem. You mention $1100 not being a high enough threshold, and the difference there would be $760. Where would your threshold be and is that number minus the $340 enough to make it worth it?