RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Protecting your equipment in the desert

IraBlock

I just returned from a two week trip to Morocco. Working in the desert can be grueling on you and your equipment. It is important to protect your gear from the high heat and sand. Of course changing lenses leaves your cameras very vulnerable, which is why working with two bodies and two zoom lenses is a way of keeping sand and dirt off your sensor. I also will use 'rain' covers on my equipment if shooting during a sand storm. And in a world of wearing a masks, keeping a mask over your mouth and nose will protect your lungs; and if you are in a sandstorm, googles are critical so you can see. Any other suggestions ????

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there such a think as a pop up mini tent? I used to use a mini tent to change out film and load canisters for developing. I wonder if there is a little pop up option to change lenses in windy conditions. I need one as I have a TON of wind! 

It may work, bit the wind would create havoc on the tent,😲

A soft paint brush and a rocket/hurricane blower. One of the things that I never guessed until I experienced it is sand in the desert often isn't sand (in the beach sense) as much as it is talcum powder.

And if you are doing video work, microphones are REALLY tough unless you know the trick of the trade. Use a balloon or balloon-like object (make sure it's not lubricated) and 'package' up your mic. The rubber will pass the sound well enough while keeping all the dust and dirt out. Works great as well for wet locations and hurricanes.

• 5 months later...

While I’ve never been in that bad of a wind/sand environment, how about a “Darkroom Changing Bag”? In the 70’s & 80’s, I got it as I developed my own film and needed this to transfer the film from the film cassettes to the developing containers. I still have it and use it when I’m headed to the ocean or other windy situations. I bring it for those unusual situations when I have to separate the lens from the body or to clean a filter or lens, or an add a filter…. Cheap and convenient insurance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there such a think as a pop up mini tent? I used to use a mini tent to change out film and load canisters for developing. I wonder if there is a little pop up option to change lenses in windy conditions. I need one as I have a TON of wind! 

Actually, there is, the only issue is that, they're not as reliable as one may think.
I suppose is the balance of having something as compact as they can be with a little bit of quality.
I remember using my 7III the first time on the beach and getting absolutely crazy about sand and salt.
Nothing happened, I was really trusting the weather sealing of the camera, but I was a bit worried at the same time.