RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Question for those who sell prints.....

CarolineJensen

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the print market all over the place. I used to sell my prints for a good rate, but now there are many inexpensive prints on the market, especially the wall art market. You can sell for less money if you have an efficient system in place and if you can do some volume.

I'm just starting all over again in Europe, so, I can't talk that much about it, but I spent 35 years living in Argentina, and to some degree, I think it's the same everywhere.

We need to find something that we can do, extremely well, and try it out. I think it applies also to prints.

At least for me, even though it's reasonable, trying to catch the last trend in some markets can be really frustrating. It's different if we aim to galleries for example, I believe.

I find the print market all over the place. I used to sell my prints for a good rate, but now there are many inexpensive prints on the market, especially the wall art market. You can sell for less money if you have an efficient system in place and if you can do some volume.

Agreed! The market is really all over the place, so I just do what I love, and hope that other people will too! sometimes it works out, other times... not so much 🙂

I was wondering about this myself. I recently hired someone on fiverr to get my tag words right on Etsy, and it has increased my visibility quite a lot. It hasn't translated to sales yet...but I'm counting the visibility as a win. I need to upload a lot more things.

Yes, visibility is a win! It takes 90 days or so to get ranked on Etsy, so getting eyes on your work will definitely help once you are entrenched in their algorithm! 

I'm just starting all over again in Europe, so, I can't talk that much about it, but I spent 35 years living in Argentina, and to some degree, I think it's the same everywhere.
We need to find something that we can do, extremely well, and try it out. I think it applies also to prints.
At least for me, even though it's reasonable, trying to catch the last trend in some markets can be really frustrating. It's different if we aim to galleries for example, I believe.

Yes, I get that! I am looking at easy images that catch those impulse buyers. I guess it all depends on your end goal. 

That is what I am looking for...emotional impulse buyers at scale. 🙂

I've read several articles on printing and I came out with some major points.

Print cannot be sold or marketed online; "seeing is believing" literally applies here. A potential client has to see how a print looks like in a physical environment to see its beauty. The idea is to show them a piece of art that they want to have on their walls. People would be more hesitant to buy something that looks good on screen but might end up not good on their wall, and the price tag pushes them to forget the whole idea.

I believe an exhibit is the best way to get the work to the public, might find some impulse buyers there. It might also benefit those who want to sell prints online, since word of mouth and physical proof will be out there. Another thing I've learned that people are more incline to buy prints that are limited in number, rather than image available in multiple sizes, formats and licenses.

I'm not saying I'm an expert in any of this, it is what my research have lead me to find.