RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Social Media Question: Is better technology making it easier for our work to get stolen?

CarolineJensen

I have noticed that upscaling software has become VERY good. I have used enlarging software for years to upsize images for stock, but now I see that a pretty low res image on IG can be blown up huge easily. Every year, the software gets better. Do any of you worry that sharing on social will cut into your profits of print sales? Do you worry about nefarious people stealing and selling your images? I have had people reach out and admit they have taken my images to use and I think many people don't even see the harm in it. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question Caroline and one that I ask myself all the time as I am very active on social media sites. Bottom line: if you put it out there, expect it to be stolen. Try a reverse Google Image search and you'll be blown away. Eastern European countries constantly steal my work but how do I go after them? Russia is #1 in theft of my work. People ask me about watermarking my images. I used to but recently stopped as it takes less than 30 seconds in PS with Content Aware to remove them so what is the point? On the other hand, most people who attend my workshops first find me on social media - so it is a double-edged sword. Bottom line, I put it out there.

It can never be stopped. Dealing with theft from other countries is near impossible to resolve, but it is possible to sue in your own country (I'm generalizing a little). Even though it is easy to prove theft, it is hard to go after them and sometimes a waste of money and time.

That being said, there is a process that I will be following to reduce or eliminate social media theft. Basically, I will not post any images that I intend to sell. I've made a decision to only post work that I rate as 2 or 3 stars, while 4 stars will be only available on my future website for sale. And of course 5 starts is my portfolio and maybe two to five prints in existence.

Great question Caroline and one that I ask myself all the time as I am very active on social media sites. Bottom line: if you put it out there, expect it to be stolen. Try a reverse Google Image search and you'll be blown away. Eastern European countries constantly steal my work but how do I go after them? Russia is #1 in theft of my work. People ask me about watermarking my images. I used to but recently stopped as it takes less than 30 seconds in PS with Content Aware to remove them so what is the point? On the other hand, most people who attend my workshops first find me on social media - so it is a double-edged sword. Bottom line, I put it out there.

Yes, double-edged sword for sure! 

It can never be stopped. Dealing with theft from other countries is near impossible to resolve, but it is possible to sue in your own country (I'm generalizing a little). Even though it is easy to prove theft, it is hard to go after them and sometimes a waste of money and time.

That being said, there is a process that I will be following to reduce or eliminate social media theft. Basically, I will not post any images that I intend to sell. I've made a decision to only post work that I rate as 2 or 3 stars, while 4 stars will be only available on my future website for sale. And of course 5 starts is my portfolio and maybe two to five prints in existence.

I think using social for the 'social' part of our businesses may be the answer...live stream, chat in stories, share behind the scenes, etc. Perhaps, it is better to keep those images for sale to ourselves! 

I think using social for the 'social' part of our businesses may be the answer...live stream, chat in stories, share behind the scenes, etc. Perhaps, it is better to keep those images for sale to ourselves! 

That I agree with. If only I have the patience to make videos and learn how to process them 😅