RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

The Challenges of Shooting TINY Pictures

CarolineJensen

I have always loved the idea of shooting for TINY images. There are so many considerations though and I am currently working with a jewelry printer to place my images on necklaces. I have learned a couple of things. 

1. Shooting for tiny images is completely different than shooting for wall art! Everything is opposite!

2. I will shoot with a wide angle lens from now on--at close distance and with deep aperture to maximize the detail and bring the art closer to the viewer. My goal is to fill the circle with my subject. 

3. Jewelry makers are not photographers and you have to work with what they offer.  I had to get test necklaces and then make a note that I need to warm up my white balance to compensate for the coolness of their printers. 

4. I will post process to remove tiny details--more noise reduction, even when there is no noise. Tiny prints just can't handle a lot of details and it is easy for details to get smudged. I have found that processing in a painterly way really helps to make the image pop under glass. 

5. Macro photographers rejoice! One perfect flower makes a great image for jewelry. 🙂 

6. I am working to find an emotional 'hook' to help sell my jewelry. People associate flowers with memories and it is really important to interlink stories with my flowers. Each necklace can have an engraved message on the back, so that helps too. 

7. The profit margin is a good thing with jewelry, but it takes a little work to dial in a product that can catch top-dollar. 

1642i5937C905494B3417.thumb.jpg.287f5853e190b01b0fa83dfe854920f3.jpg1643i447A05DC369E3A6E.thumb.jpg.af5719fd756963c1be0742fce8b534fe.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so cool, Caroline!

I am having so much fun reframing how I shoot and why. Here is one I just made today with daffodils that my daughter gave me for Valentine's Day. Daffodils are the birth month flower for March, so it might make a nice gift to someone who has a birthday then, engraved with a personal message on the back. 🙂 

1644iCA1B1359D6AD8AC7.thumb.jpg.1b63c204c4ce7455639c3250c9ad44a2.jpg

• Like 2

I am having so much fun reframing how I shoot and why. Here is one I just made today with daffodils that my daughter gave me for Valentine's Day. Daffodils are the birth month flower for March, so it might make a nice gift to someone who has a birthday then, engraved with a personal message on the back. 🙂 

1644iCA1B1359D6AD8AC7.thumb.jpg.f50b826fb43e5f21c0ff5f03c72e51fe.jpg

Very beautiful work, never did wide macro but it looks like fun, keep up the good work

I like the idea of shooting macro with a wide lens. How will you get close enough - extension tubes? I used to use a 24mm tilt shift lens to do close up work and extend my depth of field, or eliminate it. You may want to look into this option.

I’ve been considering getting a tilt shift lens, any recommendations?