RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What is your biggest challenge with photography?

CarolineJensen

I am always curious if other photographers struggle with the same things I do. 

My biggest challenge right now is print sales. I used to sell prints/stock quite often, but lately things have been slower than I would like. I am considering my options for trying new avenues, including looking for someone to help me market and license my work. 

What do you struggle with and how are you going to tackle it? 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest challenge is editing and workflow, and procrastinating on both. I mostly shoot sports with a "spray and pray" style, so with an #Alpha 9 (a9) I wind up with a LOT of photos to sort through. Which leads to the procrastination - it's HARD sorting through all those and finding that perfect shot out of a series of very, very similar shots.So I wind up with hard drives full of "gonna get around to editing."

From there I really want to learn more about editing in the sense of image manipulation. I know my photos could have much more "pop" if I had more skills in Lightroom.

Have you tried any of the online art sales sites, like Fine Art America?

My biggest current struggle is how to clearly and effectively communicate with our clients. It used to be so easy! Make a post on social or send an email and everyone saw it and engagement was great! Now there's so much noise out there, I feel like it's a moving target all the time and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get their attention!

My biggest challenge is editing and workflow, and procrastinating on both. I mostly shoot sports with a "spray and pray" style, so with an #Alpha 9 (a9) I wind up with a LOT of photos to sort through. Which leads to the procrastination - it's HARD sorting through all those and finding that perfect shot out of a series of very, very similar shots.So I wind up with hard drives full of "gonna get around to editing."

From there I really want to learn more about editing in the sense of image manipulation. I know my photos could have much more "pop" if I had more skills in Lightroom.

Have you ever used Photo Mechanic or something similar? I have that and used it when I had to cull through thousands of images. I think there are other similar products as well. 

Have you tried any of the online art sales sites, like Fine Art America?

My biggest current struggle is how to clearly and effectively communicate with our clients. It used to be so easy! Make a post on social or send an email and everyone saw it and engagement was great! Now there's so much noise out there, I feel like it's a moving target all the time and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get their attention!

I have a Fine Art America account...my trouble is marketing! I wish I could hire that done, haha! 

I agree on the struggle to communicate too. The struggle is real! 

I have a Fine Art America account...my trouble is marketing! I wish I could hire that done, haha! 

I agree on the struggle to communicate too. The struggle is real! 

I actually spent a few hours tonight researching how to outsource social media management. There are all kinds of options...Maybe that would be something to consider...have someone build and maintain a social media presence for your incredible artwork!

So many challenges! Stretching my creativity, finding new, better clients, constantly learning!

My biggest challenge is to continually force myself to get out in the elements. I truly believe when the tourists are heading in, we landscape shooters should be heading out. It is uncomfortable (wet, cold, early, late) but is when the good stuff truly happens.

My biggest challenge is to continually force myself to get out in the elements. I truly believe when the tourists are heading in, we landscape shooters should be heading out. It is uncomfortable (wet, cold, early, late) but is when the good stuff truly happens.

Oh man...I will readily admit that is why I am not a landscape photographer, haha! Although I am much more of an early early riser now with my gardens!

I actually spent a few hours tonight researching how to outsource social media management. There are all kinds of options...Maybe that would be something to consider...have someone build and maintain a social media presence for your incredible artwork!

That would be amazing! I feel that that is the toad in the road for me for sure!

Great question Caroline - One of my biggest problems is finding the time for photography. If you're in the photography business, then most people know everything needed to move that business ahead actually has very little to do with the process of taking a photo. For me, in an educational role, I have to make videos, blog posts, marketing emails, social media posts, graphics, customer support, etc... So finding time to shoot is actually my biggest struggle because the act of taking the photo (and the resulting photo itself) makes me zero income. 

I could try to hire others for those tasks, but I'm a one-man business. I've tried it other ways, and I prefer to stay a one-person business. So actually finding time to shoot is difficult after I've done all those other things. I do best though, when I set aside a morning or afternoon to just do it - no matter what, I force myself to get out of my office and just go shoot 🙂 

Great question Caroline - One of my biggest problems is finding the time for photography. If you're in the photography business, then most people know everything needed to move that business ahead actually has very little to do with the process of taking a photo. For me, in an educational role, I have to make videos, blog posts, marketing emails, social media posts, graphics, customer support, etc... So finding time to shoot is actually my biggest struggle because the act of taking the photo (and the resulting photo itself) makes me zero income. 
I could try to hire others for those tasks, but I'm a one-man business. I've tried it other ways, and I prefer to stay a one-person business. So actually finding time to shoot is difficult after I've done all those other things. I do best though, when I set aside a morning or afternoon to just do it - no matter what, I force myself to get out of my office and just go shoot 🙂 

YES! It is crazy how our first love of shooting gets thrown in the backseat when running a business!