RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What is Your Favorite National Park for Fall Color?

DonSmith

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm partial to @monicasigmon I think it's pretty close to you, and the campsites are GREAT. The northern part of the park gets super busy with the leaf-peepers coming from DC, but the southern part of the park stays pretty tame. 

Not a national park per se, but the Blue Ridge Parkway is going to be my color jam this fall. I've got a road trip to Tennessee planned for the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ tournament, and the plan is to take the parkway most of the way home back to Virginia.

I'm partial to @monicasigmon I think it's pretty close to you, and the campsites are GREAT. The northern part of the park gets super busy with the leaf-peepers coming from DC, but the southern part of the park stays pretty tame. 

Not a national park per se, but the Blue Ridge Parkway is going to be my color jam this fall. I've got a road trip to Tennessee planned for the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ tournament, and the plan is to take the parkway most of the way home back to Virginia.

Another NP that is on my bucket list @bjohnson. I live on the west coast but need to spend a few falls traveling back east. When does the fall color begin in Blue Ridge Parkway?

Another NP that is on my bucket list @bjohnson. I live on the west coast but need to spend a few falls traveling back east. When does the fall color begin in Blue Ridge Parkway?

2nd or 3rd week in October is usually when things are peaking. Between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah park it's 600 miles, so there can be a lot of variability depending on where you are. But that is definitely an advantage if you have a few days to make the trip - just keep driving and find the "sweet" spot. 

Thanks for the tips, Ben! We are definitely trying to get to Shenandoah because it is so close...just working on the schedule 🙂  Headed south of Roanoke next weekend so I am going to see if we can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway for part of that trip. And then Charlottesville in two weeks! Can’t wait to see your images - hope you share them here!

2nd or 3rd week in October is usually when things are peaking. Between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah park it's 600 miles, so there can be a lot of variability depending on where you are. But that is definitely an advantage if you have a few days to make the trip - just keep driving and find the "sweet" spot. 

Thanks for the information - now on my bucket list!

Thanks for the tips, Ben! We are definitely trying to get to Shenandoah because it is so close...just working on the schedule 🙂  Headed south of Roanoke next weekend so I am going to see if we can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway for part of that trip. And then Charlottesville in two weeks! Can’t wait to see your images - hope you share them here!

I hope all of you share your images here!

I still find myself always drawn to the Great Smokies for fall color. There's something about that place that I can walk around there forever and feel like it's the first time. 

My teaching partner Ron Modra (former SI staffer) does a fall workshop there - I can't make it this year but hopefully next...

• 2 weeks later...

688i7249ECB9BED1E0C4.thumb.jpg.2e370a4ccee1e93df4a969d5bf104463.jpg

#Alpha 9 (a9) | #FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS ƒ/16 1/100 24mm ISO200

Shenandoah National Park this past Tuesday afternoon at Blackrock Summit, one of my favorite little hikes in the park. The last stop on long-weekend roadtrip from Tennessee through the Smokies and up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

689i20DDDE0E8887B5E2.thumb.jpg.0dcab5a4dd25b531d4450777ec2a690c.jpg

#Alpha 9 (a9) |#FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS  ƒ/4 1/1000 105mm ISO200
Hit the colors just about at peak in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This was on Monday morning. There's always some luck in fall colors, and it was starting to get cold and windy up there so they probably aren't lasting much longer. As we drove north on the Blue Ridge Parkway the lower elevations were still changing. So if you haven't been out yet and you are in the Mid-Atlantic, this weekend is looking pretty good for weather and color!

688i7249ECB9BED1E0C4.thumb.jpg.b2469ba02f863ef36c6e7f05adf16148.jpg

#Alpha 9 (a9) | #FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS ƒ/16 1/100 24mm ISO200

Shenandoah National Park this past Tuesday afternoon at Blackrock Summit, one of my favorite little hikes in the park. The last stop on long-weekend roadtrip from Tennessee through the Smokies and up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

I visited Shenandoah for the first time this summer, it was lovely. Fall looks spectacular!