RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Bowl Game Shot on 60P Video with the Sony a7RV and the 400GM and the 1.4X

pm-r

Take a close look at these four still images. These are all still-frame grabs from 4K video shot at 60P (60 frames per second) on the new Sony a7RV using the Sony 400mm f/2.8GM and most with the 1.4X attached. You know the only thing better than shooting at 30 fps? 60FPS!!!
1141i461175F9F0EB36B4.thumb.jpg.95a23477a91d417bc65ceadc8ecf0317.jpg1142i859D4B3A049BE38A.thumb.jpg.32e34b5f62619a6bf322fbdc754c6988.jpg1140i34F6ED2D4F6FCB40.thumb.jpg.805248a55fb9a922cb0badf3b21f2271.jpg1139i3FD55C781FAAC888.thumb.jpg.b7c5b21419fffe38f31311db89d56ca8.jpg
I truly believe that within the next three years more than 50% of us will be shooting sports this way. The only question I have is whether or not we will even pull stills out of the video in the future. The new "tracking on" feature exclusively in the a7RV is amazing as you get to apply all the new AI function + tracking AF without the need of touch focus on the back screen. The only drawback I see is that the rolling shutter on this camera is noticeable with the quick pans needed to capture both the release as well as the catch. I was shooting the game at 1/640th f/2.8 at 2000 ISO with the 1.4 on and 1000 ISO with it off. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU!

1. I work in sports myself (DJ/Music director for B1G and Army Football)

2. The more videographers and shooters I speak with, the more I see that 60p is the way to go.  I was ridiculed for shooting in 4K60 on my 7IV and 7rV on reddit.  "It's not cinematic" was the primary response.  Did you use any other stabilization or were you mono podded for most of your shots?

Also wondering why you choose 640th instead of keeping your shutter angle at 180 degrees and being able to turn down the ISO.

THANK YOU!

1. I work in sports myself (DJ/Music director for B1G and Army Football)

2. The more videographers and shooters I speak with, the more I see that 60p is the way to go.  I was ridiculed for shooting in 4K60 on my 7IV and 7rV on reddit.  "It's not cinematic" was the primary response.  Did you use any other stabilization or were you mono podded for most of your shots?

Also wondering why you choose 640th instead of keeping your shutter angle at 180 degrees and being able to turn down the ISO.

It is great to work in the world of sports. You get to be in the middle of the action, almost.

I understand what people like about "cinematic". You could always tell them you would listen to their advice if you were planning to shoot a movie. But this is sports, and all major sport networks around the world broadcast in 60p (50p in most of the world). Only when it's a sports documentary it would make sense to be at 24p.

I believe the reason for the 640th is similar to not shooting 24p, you don't need the cinematic look. not to mention it would get you a frozen still once you pull a frame out. You will get a lot of motion blur at 120th, as it is literally like shooting a still at 120th.

Personally I believe sports is the best place to experiment new ideas, and PM-R is doing an inspirational work. It gets me motivated to try new things for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I always found the most difficult thing about pulling stills from video was the editing process. There are just soooooo many frames to choose from. Curious if you found this to be the case Patrick.

I guess because I am so used to culling through 3-5K images from each game I shoot anyways, I find it easier than stills.  I just look at each play, see if there is action there I want, and then I grab just the peak moment and move on.  Pulling the still images is the easy part.  Looking at all the clips is the harder part.

• 2 weeks later...