RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Documentary Filmmaking & Business

davidmclain

Hi, I'm Sony Artisan David McLain and happy to share creative and technical information on documentary filmmaking with the #Alpha 7S III (a7SIII) and FX9#. I just finished shooting 12 short films that explore health equity in America and have experience in all aspects of video production, from concept through final deliverables. I've always been interested in what it takes to run a successful business as a photographer and filmmaker and am happy to talk about that as well.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've had the FX9 for a little over a year now and am finally getting comfortable with its operation and layout.  It's a big machine but when I use it for interviews, I'm always stunned at the results, especially using HLG/Cinetone S.  I almost never use S-logs anymore as I get easily get what I need from the settings I mentioned.

I've had the FX9 for a little over a year now and am finally getting comfortable with its operation and layout.  It's a big machine but when I use it for interviews, I'm always stunned at the results, especially using HLG/Cinetone S.  I almost never use S-logs anymore as I get easily get what I need from the settings I mentioned.

Ya, the FX9 is a big camera designed for filmmaking. While you can operate it "as is" out of the box you start to want additional tools like a big tripod with a fluid head, Easy Rig, good audio equipment, and accessories that help you mount everything and get it from your shoulder to your tripod quickly. I've spent a ton of time figuring out what works and am happy to share info on any specific use cases you have.

How does the larger FX9 fit into your work? I always find people more comfortable around a smaller camera setup.

Great question Ira. The simplest way to think about it is that small cameras like the A7SIII have the form factor of a still photo camera that also happens to shoot video. The FX9 has the form factor of a video camera that does not shoot still photos. Form factor really matters because unlike a still photo camera you have to hand hold a video camera very still for long periods of time. You also need to mount things to it like monitors and microphones and receivers and ND filters. This is all much easier to do with a proper video camera than with an A7sIII. That said I use my small cameras when I need to move fast and light. This is how I set up my A7sIII to shoot video. I shot this whole film with variations of this setup. I use the FX9 when I don't need to move fast and light, when shooting documentary films, and am focused on sync sound. You can check out this setup and see some work here.