RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Heading out to an assignment where traveling light is important

BobKrist

For my travel documentary show, Off the Beaten Path, on Wondrium.com, I'll be spending 4 days this coming week documenting life on a remote island, Monhegan, about 14 miles off the coast of Maine. It's a beautiful island that has been occupied since the 1600s and is a favorite of artists, writers, and lobstermen, of course.

But there are no motor vehicles, so you have to walk everywhere. I'll be interviewing islanders (60 people live there year around, but it balloons in the summer with day and longer term visitors). So I have to assemble a kit that is lightweight but comprehensive, allows me to light and mic an interview on the fly.

For this gig, I'm taking two ZV-e10s, my favorite new little video shooting monster. As a hold over from my still days, I like to work with two bodies and two zooms. In this case, the new 10-20mm f/4 on one body and the excellent and small 18-135mm/3.5-5.6 OSS on the other. These two lenses will cover most of the shooting.

But I love to shoot at sunrise, sunset and twilight, so I'm bring some fast primes, the 11mm f/1.8, the 15 mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/1.8. And just for insurance, my 16-70 f/4 Vario-Tessar. I won't carry all of these everywhere, but the island is small enough that I can walk back to my hotel to switch out gear as needed.

In addition, I'll have the Sony bluetooth wireless mic setup, the little Sony ECM-B1M, a Picogear dual wireless mic setup and a DJI Pocket 2. A small tripod, a carbon fiber lightstand and a small LED tube light for interviews. This all fits in small shoulder bag and small tripod bag. I'm bringing a small drone too, but many parts of the island are "no drone zones" and I honor the local ordinances at all times.  Now all I need is some good weather, (but after a sunny dry summer up here in Maine, the reports are calling for rain in the beginning of the week). Wish me luck!402iDF78C5C8D69FBAA4.thumb.jpg.baeec8e21c219563e25f7daca290dd38.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is very cool. Surprised you are doing video capture with APS-C as a professional. This is encouraging. In your opinion, how does the a6000, or a 6500 compare to the ZV-E10 for video capture. I am considering making one of these bodies my "video" set-up. I understand the ZV-E10 has product display, but are these other 2 APS-c comparable for video?

this is very cool. Surprised you are doing video capture with APS-C as a professional. This is encouraging. In your opinion, how does the a6000, or a 6500 compare to the ZV-E10 for video capture. I am considering making one of these bodies my "video" set-up. I understand the ZV-E10 has product display, but are these other 2 APS-c comparable for video?

• Brian: Well APSC is called Super 35 in the film world, and you’ve seen hundreds of movies shot in this format. Full frame is a relatively new development in the film and video world.  The 6000 and 6500 are both great cameras for video, but the 6000 only shoots up 1080p, no 4K. The 6500 shoots 4K, but has no earphone jack. The zv-e10 has a mic and earphone jack and shoots great 4k and has active stabilization. The only thing it’s missing is an EVF, but I carry a small loupe for bright light. It’s a terrific 

• Brian: Well APSC is called Super 35 in the film world, and you’ve seen hundreds of movies shot in this format. Full frame is a relatively new development in the film and video world.  The 6000 and 6500 are both great cameras for video, but the 6000 only shoots up 1080p, no 4K. The 6500 shoots 4K, but has no earphone jack. The zv-e10 has a mic and earphone jack and shoots great 4k and has active stabilization. The only thing it’s missing is an EVF, but I carry a small loupe for bright light. It’s a terrific 

It is a true and underrecognized fact that almost all of the movies we grew up on were shot in Super 35. To name juse a few: Titanic, Top Gun, Gladiator, The Godfather 3, The Departed , No Country for Old Men, American Beauty, Seven, Fight Club etc....

I checked out your trailer for Off The Beaten Path Bob. I LOVE that you doing this. It's such an inspiration to see you continue to learn new things and explore new mediums and reinvent yourself.

Thanks David, you are one of my main (and Maine!) sources of inspiration. When it comes to transitioning from stills to shooting film, nobody's done it better than you!

I bet the white version of your ZV-E10 works great for you at the holidays...  LOL

I too love the ZV-E10 for Vlogging.  It's so tiny and lightweight.  I also have noted that the battery life is so much better than with the older a6000 type bodies.  I love the new 11mm f/1.8 Prime.  It mostly stays attached to the camera all the time.

• 2 months later...

Bob do you ever use the ZV-1? I purchased this a year ago as just a lower budget pocket camera. I enjoy using it. Also, do you provide any tutorials on your setting for video?