RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

sony A7IV

slsiriwardane

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a very similar problem, but the camera is overheating and shutting down even with the temp level set to high. We do a lot of long form 4K 10 bit video and the camera rarely goes more than 30 minutes without overheating and shutting down. We've tried turning off dual card recording and using a dummy battery as some youtubers have suggested, but nothing seems to help. I've been reluctantly forced to shoot in 1080p for longer shoots, which means I lose any ability to crop in post. So I'm forced to choose between 1080 or turning down the bit rate and losing flexibility in color grading and making it harder to match the footage from our A7Siii, which doesn't overheat. I'm thinking of sending the body in to sony for service. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

We bought 2 A7IVs the first day they were released. We shoot video set on high, have the screen open, and change batteries before they get very hot. I've never seen a temperature warning on either camera and we often shoot outdoors in the Florida heat. I think changing the batteries before they get hot might be important?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a very similar problem, but the camera is overheating and shutting down even with the temp level set to high. We do a lot of long form 4K 10 bit video and the camera rarely goes more than 30 minutes without overheating and shutting down. We've tried turning off dual card recording and using a dummy battery as some youtubers have suggested, but nothing seems to help. I've been reluctantly forced to shoot in 1080p for longer shoots, which means I lose any ability to crop in post. So I'm forced to choose between 1080 or turning down the bit rate and losing flexibility in color grading and making it harder to match the footage from our A7Siii, which doesn't overheat. I'm thinking of sending the body in to sony for service. Any ideas?

I had the same issue while recording podcasts.  I had to stop recording to the memory card while I streamed, and used my streaming platform to record the video.  But I guess it depends on how/what you're shooting.

I do the same thing but I also pull the back screen away from the body for long-form projects.  I will also use the 4 battery charger thing that Sony makes so that the dummy battery is in the body with no door.  Both of these things allow heat to escape from the camera without affecting the long-form captures I need to make sometimes.