RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

To shoot 8k or not too!? That is the question...

Drew_Geraci

One of the biggest benefits to using the Alpha 1 (that I see) is its ability to capture 8k video in full 4:2:2 color, something you can't really do with any other Sony camera, aside from the Venice 2.  I often have other shooters tell me they don't shoot in 8k but after I show them how I can manipulate the image in 4k by recomposing, adjusting the frame, creating 2 completely different shots, or adding dynamic motion their tune quickly changes!  

553i88825873202F0685.thumb.jpg.6dd66253e33171faf7d943275a84b9b7.jpg554iA46C14901B50EA3B.thumb.jpg.91bea9fc26e7759b404ae0434115ce3a.jpg

(Here are two shots from the same frame, both telling different parts of the story in 8k). 

My question for the community is how often do you film in 8k and are you taking advantage of the resolution when you do?

  

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This conversation is really complicated but the simplest way to think about it is that the compression/codec is just as important as whether you are shooting 4K or 8K.  A colorist would always rather have 4k raw footage to work with than 8k compressed footage. I've spent a lot of time thinking this through with my colorist Jerome Thelia and the sweet spot for the way I shoot (Doc style/small crew) is UHD shot on a Sony A1 or A7sIII recorded to an external recorder (Ninja V) in Pro Res 422. It's not an overwhelming amount of data to back up in the field and has very little noise in low light. We are both consistently blown away at how good this looks.

I almost always shoot in 8K 4:2:2 HLG 

From that I can extract what many projects need. I also can produce custom stock footage with retiming, down conversion reframing and or tilt and pan.

However many stock footage agencies still only want HD or UHD so I would provide that as a rule currently.

Mark

This conversation is really complicated but the simplest way to think about it is that the compression/codec is just as important as whether you are shooting 4K or 8K.  A colorist would always rather have 4k raw footage to work with than 8k compressed footage. I've spent a lot of time thinking this through with my colorist Jerome Thelia and the sweet spot for the way I shoot (Doc style/small crew) is UHD shot on a Sony A1 or A7sIII recorded to an external recorder (Ninja V) in Pro Res 422. It's not an overwhelming amount of data to back up in the field and has very little noise in low light. We are both consistently blown away at how good this looks.

Absoultely! RAW always trumps anything compressed (in my book). I can't wait for RED's patent to expire in 2026 so we can finally have true RAW in our cameras in 2027. I definitely feel like 8k is the future (or present depending on who/what you deliver for) but 4k is still just as good in most situations. 

I almost always shoot in 8K 4:2:2 HLG 

From that I can extract what many projects need. I also can produce custom stock footage with retiming, down conversion reframing and or tilt and pan.

However many stock footage agencies still only want HD or UHD so I would provide that as a rule currently.

Mark

Yeah, 8k is slowly being adopted at stock agencies and I expect that to increase even more as 8k becomes standardized (by late 2023 or early 2024).  

The way you are approaching filming might be the future of filmmaking. Imagine being able to choose your shot framing, focal distance, and everything in post-production. One day the camera will capture everything, and the choice will be much more in the hands of the editor. And then to be able to replicate a 3D space, you could even move the digital camera within a span of the space and reposition as needed. It's useful to start to think this way, for sure. (I wish I had the Alpha 1 to play with for 8K!)

The way you are approaching filming might be the future of filmmaking. Imagine being able to choose your shot framing, focal distance, and everything in post-production. One day the camera will capture everything, and the choice will be much more in the hands of the editor. And then to be able to replicate a 3D space, you could even move the digital camera within a span of the space and reposition as needed. It's useful to start to think this way, for sure. (I wish I had the Alpha 1 to play with for 8K!)

100000000% and it's coming one way or another. I'm looking forward to the day when there's so much information captured in the image that we can change nearly all specs of the shot to create more shots or different compositions within the same frame and not lose quality. AI will definitely get us there.