RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Video Thumbnails

ShawnL

Spoiler (Highlight to read)
So I have a Sony a7iv and the video thumbnails don’t show up on my pc or laptop (windows 10). I record in 1080 hd xavc s 10bit 422. This is not an issue for any of my other cameras such as the a7ii or my a6500. I am able to see thumbnails from my other cameras but for some reason the files from the a7iv don’t show thumbnails. Anyone know a possible fix?
So I have a Sony a7iv and the video thumbnails don’t show up on my pc or laptop (windows 10). I record in 1080 hd xavc s 10bit 422. This is not an issue for any of my other cameras such as the a7ii or my a6500. I am able to see thumbnails from my other cameras but for some reason the files from the a7iv don’t show thumbnails. Anyone know a possible fix?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For video, it's a Windows 10/11 thing. They stopped supporting hvec codecs for thumbnails a while back. The only way to do it is to transcode it to ProRes (or an H.254 .Mov) and you should see the thumbnails return. You might try downloading the VLC player though and see if you have any luck with that. 

Windows and Sony also both stopped supporting RAW thumbnails quite a few years back too (for still photos).

For video, it's a Windows 10/11 thing. They stopped supporting hvec codecs for thumbnails a while back. The only way to do it is to transcode it to ProRes (or an H.254 .Mov) and you should see the thumbnails return. You might try downloading the VLC player though and see if you have any luck with that. 

Windows and Sony also both stopped supporting RAW thumbnails quite a few years back too (for still photos).

*H.264 (slip of the finger!)