See Official Sweepstakes Rules here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What picture profile do you like the most for Video?

Drew_Geraci
Leading Creator

I'm always a fan of being able to control my highlights, mid-tones, and shadows in post so I usually do most of my filming in S-LOG3/S-Gamut3.Cine. I'm curious how many people shoot in PP11 (S-Cinetone) vs PP7/8 (SLOG2/3) and why. 

Do you like doing your own color-grading or do you prefer to have it already baked in before you get to editing? Let me know what your favorite go-to settings are! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

alxstevens

We tend these days to shoot a lot in S-Cinetone, mostly for ease and speed.  It looks really good (90%+ as good as what we'd end up grading to) and saves a ton of time not only in post but even on set, matching cameras and not having to deal with LUTs on any monitor that non-sophisticated clients are looking at.

Basically for us, the juice of S-LOG/S-Gamut is not worth the squeeze over S-Cinetone.

View solution in original post

Uhlinmedia

Hey! I am a colorist and of course I want to work with S-log, preferably PP8 S-log3/S-gamut3.Cine. This is because many times the customer wants a special look, and usually there are several camera types involved in a film project, then it is easier with S-log3. But S-cinetone has fantastically good colors.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

alxstevens

We tend these days to shoot a lot in S-Cinetone, mostly for ease and speed.  It looks really good (90%+ as good as what we'd end up grading to) and saves a ton of time not only in post but even on set, matching cameras and not having to deal with LUTs on any monitor that non-sophisticated clients are looking at.

Basically for us, the juice of S-LOG/S-Gamut is not worth the squeeze over S-Cinetone.

Yeah, I agree, S-Cinetone is like the perfect middle ground for pre-graded footage with just enough latitude to allow you to make meaningful changes without having to dive too deep into the actual color grade. It's definitely faster than grading SLOG2/3. 

The only time I've seen SLOG2/3 outperform S-Cinetone is when it comes to drastic changes of light/exposure in the scene and something is super blown out. It also works better for HDR content. 

I agree on s-cinetone, because it is so easy to work with!

IraBlock
Prime Creator

I try to keep things simple, so i shoot in S-Cinetone. Minimal grading and if using multiple cameras the profiles look the same.