RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

FAILED VLOGS...

Terrywarfield

Happy New Years!

I think it's silly to expect everything we create to be a "winner" right? Some projects and vlogs are just going to fail. Whether its bad footage, bad audio, the story just didn't click, etc. THERE WILL BE VLOGS THAT YOU WON'T WANT TO POST. HOW DO I KNOW? IT JUST HAPPENED TO ME!

I went out of town for a few days recently, and figured I would vlog the experience. Started off great! The first two days I was all in. The 3rd day, to be honest, I felt like I was forcing the vlog, and I kind of fell out of love with finishing it. So, I just didn't. So there I was, plenty of footage from the first two days, and then, just nothing after that. It's open ended, no conclusion, and I was about to DELETE the whole thing.

Then I remembered, TERRY, DON'T!! If you put your time and effort into something, even if it doesn't go as planned, RE-PURPOSE IT! Take snippets and turn it into short form content for IG, TikTok, Youtube Shorts, etc. Use snippets for color grading reels, failed audio reels etc. IF YOU PUT THE WORK IN ON A "FAILURE", TURN IT INTO A WIN IN ANOTHER WAY!! 

LET'S CRUSH THIS NEW YEAR!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a great lesson and point. Not everything is a winner and sometimes you need those ones that fall flat to help you with the next idea. And as you pointed out, even if the project you had in mind as a whole didn’t come together, there is almost always something in there that’s a takeaway from it. 

I’ve always thought the sign of a good content creator isn’t some one who constantly makes amazing content every single time (nobody does this by the way). But more about some one who could find the content around them, and translate it to the audience. It’s not some mythical force… As you demonstrated, it’s work. Sometimes it happens perfectly and some times it doesn’t. And the more you work at it the better you get. Thanks for sharing! 

The feeling of getting the shot, the clip, or the project from the first try feels amazing. It is normal to feel distraught when it doesn't happen. But I believe failure is the best place to discover ones abilities and greatest skills.

You hit the point brilliantly. Repurposing is a great skill. Being able to take a "failed" shot and turn into something else that delivers a feeling to the audience is a great learning method. This gives you an advantage of "reducing wasted time" and achieving more. The time spent on a project can also produce some alternate mini works, and that feels better than just finishing the one project.

I'm always finding the most unplanned, minimal effort-type of videos end up doing the best. It's kind of disheartening when you pour your heart and soul into something and have a good feeling about how it will be received, only to see the view count on it be low, but these are the uncontrollable truths of being a creator, right? Glad to hear you're repurposing a ton of content ! 

Such a great lesson and point. Not everything is a winner and sometimes you need those ones that fall flat to help you with the next idea. And as you pointed out, even if the project you had in mind as a whole didn’t come together, there is almost always something in there that’s a takeaway from it. 

I’ve always thought the sign of a good content creator isn’t some one who constantly makes amazing content every single time (nobody does this by the way). But more about some one who could find the content around them, and translate it to the audience. It’s not some mythical force… As you demonstrated, it’s work. Sometimes it happens perfectly and some times it doesn’t. And the more you work at it the better you get. Thanks for sharing! 

absolutely man

The feeling of getting the shot, the clip, or the project from the first try feels amazing. It is normal to feel distraught when it doesn't happen. But I believe failure is the best place to discover ones abilities and greatest skills.

You hit the point brilliantly. Repurposing is a great skill. Being able to take a "failed" shot and turn into something else that delivers a feeling to the audience is a great learning method. This gives you an advantage of "reducing wasted time" and achieving more. The time spent on a project can also produce some alternate mini works, and that feels better than just finishing the one project.

yep! its also fulfilling when you feel like something "failed" and then you re-purpose it as a reel or something and it gets traction. Great feeling of a good payoff from not giving up 

I'm always finding the most unplanned, minimal effort-type of videos end up doing the best. It's kind of disheartening when you pour your heart and soul into something and have a good feeling about how it will be received, only to see the view count on it be low, but these are the uncontrollable truths of being a creator, right? Glad to hear you're repurposing a ton of content ! 

literally the worst. lol. Talking head video with no b-roll, second angles etc? 20k views in two hours. That video you spent a week on? a straight 10/10 lol