RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

How do you slomo, S&Q vs Native 60/120p?

MiguelQuiles

I was sharing my vlogging setup with my videographer recently and was surprised they hadn't heard that you can shoot slow motion video easier using S&Q mode. Which method of slow motion do you prefer? Personally, I like S&Q for the ability to replay the clip in slow motion in camera. This way, I know I definitely got the shot. Thoughts? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I know this post has been up for a little while but I think it's a good one. I find myself using standard slo-mo for the flexibility. I know you SHOULDN'T use your slo mo clips for talking head pieces, but when you are running and gunning it's easy to forget to flip back to your 24/30fps option. I have had it happen more than once. Being able to still save my vlog by having a regular slo-mo clip WITH sound that can be played back at regular speed is game changing. Is dropping 1080p 120fps talking head into a 24p timeline ideal for the "cinematic look"? Lol HEAVENS NO, but in a pinch, it certainly saves the day

S&Q has the frame and data rate cooked in. Standard Sony slo-mo has the data they're available to use IF you want to slow it down, but you don't have to. 

I haven't worked on videos yet, But my cameras are set for S&Q for my slow motion needs. From the technical side, you'd lose sound, but "slow" sound would be weird. Not to mention, most slow motion videos that I watch get added sounds and melodies for the emotional effect. That's how I saw my need and plan for slow motion.

S&Q mode is intoxicating but...  I once shot an entire toast at a wedding where the Bride's Dad was talking about her.  The issue is that in S&Q there is no audio captured, so I had to trash that whole testimonial which would have been nice to have given the family!  Now that the a1 allows for 120P in 4K and the new a7RV allows 4K in 60P, I don't use S&Q mode much anymore as those frame rates give me excellent slo-mo even past 50% speed.  I know also that Amber and Garret (eyenamics.com) shoot all their weddings at 60P for this reason, cause you never know when some action that you are capturing will look better in slo-mo.  

I know this post has been up for a little while but I think it's a good one. I find myself using standard slo-mo for the flexibility. I know you SHOULDN'T use your slo mo clips for talking head pieces, but when you are running and gunning it's easy to forget to flip back to your 24/30fps option. I have had it happen more than once. Being able to still save my vlog by having a regular slo-mo clip WITH sound that can be played back at regular speed is game changing. Is dropping 1080p 120fps talking head into a 24p timeline ideal for the "cinematic look"? Lol HEAVENS NO, but in a pinch, it certainly saves the day

S&Q has the frame and data rate cooked in. Standard Sony slo-mo has the data they're available to use IF you want to slow it down, but you don't have to. 

exactly!!!!

S&Q mode is intoxicating but...  I once shot an entire toast at a wedding where the Bride's Dad was talking about her.  The issue is that in S&Q there is no audio captured, so I had to trash that whole testimonial which would have been nice to have given the family!  Now that the a1 allows for 120P in 4K and the new a7RV allows 4K in 60P, I don't use S&Q mode much anymore as those frame rates give me excellent slo-mo even past 50% speed.  I know also that Amber and Garret (eyenamics.com) shoot all their weddings at 60P for this reason, cause you never know when some action that you are capturing will look better in slo-mo.  

Exactly bro. Id rather have that sound and just have to slow it down in post. it's literally one command to retime it in most NLE's. Also, yeah S&Q can give higher bitrates than standard slo mo, but the bitrates are already high enough for YouTube content and even for production work as long as there is no bitrate requirement 

I find S&Q, at 1 frame per second, is a great way to shoot quick, in-camera timelapses. I use the regular frame rates for shooting slow motion and have the S&Q pre-set to 1 fps when I want to knock off a quick timelapse in camera. Saves me a ton of time in post creating the timelapses, which I rarely use for more than 5-10 seconds. I like having the option of choosing to make a 60 or 120fps slow-mo or not after the fact. 

I used to shoot regular 60-120fps with audio, but I'd be changing the speed of every clip for the benefit of saving audio I rarely used.  And, reviewing a clip that I was going to slow down anyway, it would only play back in real time in camera.

So, these days I tend to shoot 120fps S&Q in camera.  It's fantastic, as I can check my shots in camera.  Only issue I've noticed is that the FX3 does NOT play back with a monitoring LUT.  So, despite being able to record with a monitoring LUT, playback in camera will still be in Log.

I used to shoot regular 60-120fps with audio, but I'd be changing the speed of every clip for the benefit of saving audio I rarely used.  And, reviewing a clip that I was going to slow down anyway, it would only play back in real time in camera.

So, these days I tend to shoot 120fps S&Q in camera.  It's fantastic, as I can check my shots in camera.  Only issue I've noticed is that the FX3 does NOT play back with a monitoring LUT.  So, despite being able to record with a monitoring LUT, playback in camera will still be in Log.

Fair point!